SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Zucchini!? In a cookie…!?

Yes, you read right. Zucchini…Oats…and Chocolate Chips to be exact. Toss in a little cinnamon and nutmeg and this soft, cake-like cookie is packed with fabulous, wholesome flavor.  When I was making them MyLittleTwinBoys took one look at me shredding up a big zucchini and said…

“Oh, no. What are you going to do with THAT!”

I simply told them it was going into a cookie and could they please keep an open mind when they tasted them.

“Give them a fair shot! Who knows, they may be really, really good!” is what I said, to be exact.

IMG_8852_edited-1

They made a few faces that led me to believe they would have a hard time keeping an open mind. Goof balls. These two have been hit with the silly bug. They lay in bed at night and laugh for a good hour before they fall to sleep, every single night. Thank goodness summer is still in full swing. Heaven help us when the old school bell starts a ringing and they have to get up and be accountable for spelling words and addition equations.

IMG_8895_edited-1

As it turns out, I was able to coerce my boys into trying a cookie and they totally loved  them.  They each ate four and then hauled a plate full of cookies out to share with their neighborhood pals. They gave them a thumbs up as well, even though I overheard my boy Nate telling them “My mom totally made these with spinach…!”

Spinach! Woah, man. Looks like we need a little lesson on Green Vegetables in Many Varieties, around here. Maybe spinach and zucchini will be on an upcoming spelling test…who knows. 🙂 Until then, we will be giggling late into the night and enjoying a few batches of these great cookies.

Hope you give them a try, gang! It’s a great use for any overgrown zucchini you may have lying around.

Let me show you how to make it happen!

Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!!

Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 C grated zucchini
1 3/4 C rolled oats
2 C milk chocolate chips
1 C chopped pecans

IMG_8849_edited-1

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl place 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar. Beat it on medium speed until light and fluffy. Should only take about 2 minutes. Add 1 egg and mix for 1 minute longer. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and mix until combined.

IMG_8854_edited-1

3. Into a separate bowl place 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss it all together to combine and add it to the mixing bowl.

IMG_8855_edited-1

4. Toss in 1 3/4 C rolled oats (I opted for rolled oats because that’s what I had on hand. You can use quick cooking oats if you have that as well). Mix to combine.

IMG_8835_edited-1

5. Take a medium-large zucchini (something that has grown too large to do anything but bake with…)

IMG_8839_edited-1

and grate 1 1/2 cups. Add it to the mixing bowl.

IMG_8857_edited-1

6. Chop 1 cup of pecans and add them in.

IMG_8858_edited-1

7. Add 2 cups milk chocolate chips and mix it all until combined.

IMG_8866_edited-1

8. Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire rack or eat warm from the oven.

Zucchini Oatmeal Chocolat Chip Cookies

Enjoy!

talia
    August 8, 2014 at 11:08 am

Such a timely post! My garden is exploding with zucchini, so the cookies will be a nice change. My family will certainly appreciate a sweet and I will enjoy that there is some ‘healthy’ to it!

Thanks for sharing!
    ps: your boys are precious!

Erin R.
    August 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Ha ha! I have two big torpedos on my counter this very minute! These do look really nice. Maybe I’ll bang some out this weekend and bring them in to work on Monday. Thanks!

Denise
    August 9, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Jamie,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made them tonight and they didn’t have much taste which has me baffled. Is the 1/8 tsp salt a typo? I determined to make a good tasting zucchini cookie!!!

August 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Denise,
      The original recipe didn’t call for any salt. I felt like 1/8 teaspoon was plenty, but you can add as much as you like. 🙂
      Best of luck,

Nancy
    August 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hey Jamie, instead of making cookies, could you make this recipe into a quick bread? would you make any changes if you did this? this recipes looks awesome!
    thanks!

August 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Nancy,
      I haven’t ever tried the batter as a quick bread. Not sure how it would work. My first thought is that it would be a bit too thick and wouldn’t bake properly. 🙂

Clover
    August 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I made these this afternoon and they are delish. Full of flavor. I did up the salt to 1/2 tsp, subbed in 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour and used semi sweet chips as that was all I had. Worked great. Thanks.

August 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Clover,
      Thanks for the report! Glad they turned out well for you.
      All the best,

Stacy
    August 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Jamie I just made these cookies and they are amazing! ? you give the best recipes, I am constantly on your site finding new things and cooking up favorites. Thanks!

Mindy Barnes
    August 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I have to admit that I am making these for the third time since you posted them! They are that tasty, and I have a lot of zucchini! My kids love them, and I feel a little bit better having them get some healthy stuff in with their treats. Thanks tons!

karin
    August 5, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Does the zucchini need to be wring out?

July 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I found these while searching for zucchini cookies – I was looking because a local restaurant used to make zucchini cookies half dipped in chocolate, but because they don’t any more, I wanted to find a recipe for them. I didn’t, but I found these, and tried them last night. They were SO good! Thank you!