Loaded with sweet and tangy teriyaki flavor, this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is my families new favorite way to enjoy grilling in the summertime. Everyone of my kids gobbled it up like it was sweet dream pie. Or sweet dream chicken, actually. Which is what it is, my friends. Sweet Dream Chicken. Tender, juicy and oh so fabulous. We ate it a few weeks ago, for the first time, over a bed of warm white rice, which was fantastic. I made it again a couple of days ago, sliced the chicken up and added it to an asian style green salad and drizzled a Sweet Teriyaki Vinaigrette over the top. Sound kind of weird? It wasn’t. It was the bomb, baby. Truly. Recipe for the dressing and salad coming up tomorrow.
Until then…make this chicken, gang. It’s sure to please.
1. Place the cold water, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, cornstarch and sesame oil into a large skillet. Whisk it together until well combined.
2. Place the skillet on the stove top and heat the mixture over medium high heat. Stir it while it heats up. Bring it to a simmer and allow it to cook for 2 minutes, or until dark and thick.
3.Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. To make the marinade, stir together 1 C of the prepared and cooled teriyaki sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Pour it carefully into a large freezer safe ziploc bag.
5. Place the remaining teriyaki sauce into fridge.
5. Add the chicken thighs to the bag and spread the marinade over the chicken as evenly as possible. Close tightly and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
6. Heat your grill to 350 degrees. Place a large piece of foil onto the grill. Drizzle a bit of olive oil onto the foil. Place the chicken onto the foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill until the juices run clear and the chicken is no longer pink. Discard the marinade.
7. Reheat the leftover teriyaki sauce and drizzle it over the hot chicken.