If you love sugar cookies and coconut cream pie…you are going to love these cookies. They are a wonderful combination of both! A super soft cookie is infused with coconut flavor, frosted with creamy coconut frosting and sprinkled with toasted coconut. They are absolutely divine, my friends. I can’t wait to make them again! Hope some of you get a chance to try them!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sprinkle 1 1/2 C sweetened coconut onto a large baking sheet. Place it in the hot oven and allow it to get golden brown and toasty. (Should only take about 5 minutes, watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn!) Also, keep in mind that coconut when being toasted, sends off a fume that is super delicious to smell but will burn your eyes a bit if you open the oven and look directly into before the fume has a chance to escape from the oven. Proceed with caution. 🙂 Set the pan aside and allow the coconut to cool completely.
3. Into your stand mixer place 1 C butter, softened. Add 1 1/2 C sugar and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and add 2 eggs. Beat on medium speed for 2 additional minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp coconut extract. Mix just until combined.
4. In a separate bowl combine 3 C flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt and 3 Tb instant Coconut Cream Pie filling. Toss it all together to combine.
5. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and mix just until combined.
6. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, scoop the dough into 2 inch balls and place them on the sheet. Take each dough ball into your hand and roll it around a bit so the outside edges are nice and smooth.
7. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until the top of the cookie has cracks in it. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to finish baking for a couple of minutes on the hot pan.
8. Remove the cookies from the pan and onto a wire rack to cool.
9. To make the frosting place 1/2 C softened butter, 5 C powdered sugar, 5 Tb milk, 2 tsp coconut extract, 1 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Beat until well combined and glossy. Add more milk if it’s too thick and more powdered sugar if it’s too thin.
10. Frost each cookie one at a time…
and immediately sprinkle it with the toasted coconut.
Serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!