If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed I posted a teaser “story” there yesterday while I was making these amazing Chocolate Frosted Zucchini Cookies. As a side note, kind of cool that instagram has a new story feature, right? If I’ve learned one thing about social media, it’s that it is always changing, changing, changing. Anyhow, if you haven’t seen the new story feature it’s pretty cool and allows you to add small snippets of your day to instagram that will be deleted after 24 hours. It seems like a mixture of snapchat and instagram. You can follow me on Instagram by clicking here.
Now, let me tell you about the utter fabulousness of these Chocolate Frosted Zucchini Cookies. A soft, fluffy, cake-like cookie is loaded with chocolate flavor both from cocoa powder and chocolate chips. There’s a small amount of oats in the batter, as well as shredded zucchini which make the cookies super moist. They are topped with a silky chocolate frosting that is wonderful.
Let the record show that yesterday when I pulled out a giant zucchini and started to peel and shred it, one of my children came into the kitchen and said “Oh, no. What are you going to make with that big green thing?”
Let the record also show that the aforementioned child ate 3 cookies in one sitting. Also, to the credibility of these amazing cookies, allow me to inform you that every neighborhood child, teen-visitor and adult I fed these cookies to was stunned by their deliciousness.
Hope some of you get a chance to try them!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer place 1/2 C softened butter and 3/4 C brown sugar. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add 1 egg and beat for an addition 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla and mix just until combined.
3. Grab a large zucchini, peel it…
and remove the seeds from the center.
Shred it up and pat it dry.
4. Add 1 C of the shredded zucchini to the creamed ingredients. Mix until combined.
5. In a separate bowl toss together 2 C flour, 4 Tb cocoa powder, 1/2 C quick cooking oats, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp salt and 1 C milk chocolate chips.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until combined.
7. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and scoop the dough out evenly over it.
8. Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the top of the cookies spring back when tapped. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
9. To make the frosting, place 1/2 C butter into a large glass mixing bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave.
10. Add 4 C powdered sugar, 1/4 C cocoa powder, 4 Tb milk, 1 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt. Blend with hand beaters until the frosting is smooth and silky.
11. Frost each cookie.
Serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe adapted from Chef in Training