Dear reader, if I could pass one of these fabulous BBQ Chicken Pinwheels right through the computer screen and into your very presence…I would do it! Plain old hum drum words cannot do them justice, truly! They are simply fantastic. I took my 30 Minute Pizza Crust recipe, rolled it out and added some fabulous rotisserie chicken, bbq sauce and cheese. I rolled the dough back up and sliced it into pinwheels to bake. Simple and wonderful. My kids loved them! I loved them, and I seriously would have shared them with many neighbors were there any left to share. 🙂
Make some for dinner this week, guys. They would be great served with a nice crisp green salad.
Don’t be overwhelmed with all of the steps listed below. It goes by pretty quickly!
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
and stir it in until the yeast and sugar have dissolved.
Let it sit for 5 minutes, or until it bubbles up nicely for you.
3. Pour the foamy water mixture into your stand mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt…
and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Add 1 cup of flour and mix on low for 30 seconds.
While the mixer is on, add the rest of the flour. You need between 2 1/2 – 3 cups total. Watch the dough while it mixes. When it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl, you have enough flour. Another way to tell if you have enough flour, is by touching the dough. If it sticks like crazy to your finger, you need more flour. Once you have enough, let it mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
5. Spray your counter with cooking spray and lay the dough onto it.
Take a sharp knife and spray it with cooking spray. Slice the dough in half.
6. Grab 3 C of cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken) and chop it into small pieces.
7. Place the chicken into a bowl and pour 1 C bbq sauce over the top. (I used Sweet Baby Rays).
Stir to combine.
8. Roll out each dough half and spread half of the chicken over the top.
9. Sprinkle each one with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 C Parmesan cheese.
10. Roll up the dough, from the left to the right…
…until you have a nice log shape.
11. Slice each one into 10-12 slices.
13. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and place the pinwheels evenly onto it.
14. Place them in the warm oven and allow them to almost double in size.
15. Turn the heat up to 350 degrees (leave the pan in the oven) and allow them to cook through. Should take about 20-30 minutes depending on how fast your oven heats up.
16. Remove the pan from the oven and brush softened butter on the top of the rolls.
17. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and green onion.
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more great Pinwheel recipes? Here are some of my favorites…