Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip

Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
Pocket

Thanksgiving will be comin’ round the mountain in just a few days now you know, folks. I just can’t wait. It’s always such an enjoyable day. I love enjoyable days. Days spent eating delicious food, and visiting with wonderful family members. Looking forward to it!

Today for me, was one of “those” days. You know about them, don’t you? Not the really enjoyable kind.  The kind you just try and plow through while you wonder how many things are going to go wrong!
A few months ago my cute TeenNephewJayDee told me, “Aunt Jamie, everything you cook is like perfect, and everybody like LOVES everything you make because it is like ALWAYS so good.”
Wow. What a cute and thoughtful boy. I wonder what he would think if he were to have witnessed the “like” perfection going on in my kitchen this morning.
This morning my goal was to make and photo this fabulous Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip….just for you all.

Ten minutes into the project, I had burned both of my hands on some hot and fiery jalapeno pepper seeds.

Then….I filled my blender up with cranberries. (While running to the sink every 30 seconds to pour water over my burned hands) Trying to get the cranberries to break up in the bottom of the blender, I stuck a wooden spoon down into the cranberries and chopped the thing to bits. At this point I spent a good 5 minutes contemplating the pros and cons of inflicting wood poisoning on my family. My blender can grind things up pretty fine you know.

Then…. I poured the CranberryWoodChipDelight down the disposal.

My sink wasn’t that impressed with the concoction and chose to get all clogged, and plunger needy. Nice.
Right at that same moment….
another form of plumbing….
in a separate room…..(white porcelain piece of work with a lid)
got all plunger needy.
Don’t hold that picture in your mind for  too long…this is a food blog you know.
It was a plunger happy, hands on fire, wood chips in my teeth kind of morning. And right on a day I was going to not drink any Diet Coke, too. Let me just say, Diet Coke doesn’t taste that great if you’ve got wood chips in your teeth. Perfect. Just perfect.

But lucky for us….this Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip is super fabulous! My TeenNephewJayDee would give it the “like” perfect thumbs up. It’s got a little bit of a spicy kick to it. If spicy-kick isn’t your cup of tea, no worries. Just leave the jalapeno out.  Then you would also most definitely not burn your hands with it’s venomous seeds. Double bonus!

Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
Time: 15 minutes prep + 4 hours refrigeration
Recipe adapted from my dear friend Heather Peterson
1  12 oz package fresh cranberries
1/4 C green onion, chopped
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper
1 1/4 C sugar
1/4 t cumin
2 T lemon juice
dash salt
2  8 oz packages cream cheese

1. Put your cranberries in a food processor. I used my mini chopper (one batch of CranberryWoodChipDelight was enough for me. The blender and I aren’t speaking to each other at this point….) You could also, just chop them up.

2. Chop up your green onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper into small pieces. Careful of the seeds now. Throw on a pair of rubber gloves or something, please. The seeds are the hot part of the pepper. If you don’t like a lot of heat on the old pallet, just leave the jalapeno out.
3. Add all ingredients (but the cream cheese and the wheat thins) into a bowl. Mix them all together, cover and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours. The sugar needs some time to soak in to the cranberries and break up their bitter taste.

4. When you are ready to serve, place your cream cheese bricks on a plate.

5. Spread the cream cheese out as evenly as you can.

6. Pour your cranberry mixture over the cream cheese.

7. Spread it all around.
8. Serve immediately with Wheat Thins, Ritz Crackers or Tortilla Chips.

cranberry-cream-cheese-jalapeno-dip-from-jamie-cooks-it-up

mina
    November 1, 2018 at 6:31 am

Wonderful recipe! My family loved it and is requesting it again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Susan
    November 3, 2018 at 5:18 pm

I am going to try this with Trader Joe’s Turkey Stuffing seasoned kettle potato chips!

Colette
    November 21, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I’m making this for Thanksgiving and doubling it… do I add 2-1/4 cups of sugar (equally a half cup) or 2 & 1/2 cups sugar?

Shelly
    December 2, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Hey I love this dip! Just wondered how long you can keep it in the fridge?
    Thanks for sharing all of your yummy recipes!

Ann Pierson
      December 14, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I have made this for 2 yrs now at this time of year. It keeps a long time…the cheese will turn a little red after awhile, but who cares? I keep eating it for days! Yum. I used 2 jalapenos and discarded seeds. BTW I drain before covering cr cheese.

Sandy
    December 14, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Loved it! The only downside was mine was pretty watery. I may possibly cut back on sugar or drain the liquid before pouring it on the cream cheese.

Lisa Eberhardt
    November 11, 2019 at 3:53 pm

excited to try this new recipe.

Jennifer Greggs
    November 22, 2019 at 6:06 am

I have made this recipe for the past 3 thanksgivings. Always a huge hit! The cranberry mixture definitely needs some juice strained off before putting on the cream cheese.
    ***One thing I now do is, make the cranberry portion the night before so everything marinates well. The next day I set out my cream cheese blocks, let them soften in a mixing bowl. When I strain some of the cranberry juice off, I save some and add to the cream cheese in the mixing bowl, and mix. This helps soften the cheese and gives it a softer, spread-like texture.
    Then I spread the cream cheese on my serving platter / plate, and pour the cranberry part, on top.
    When you scoop with a cracker, your cracker doesn’t break because the cream cheese has a nice softness to it!

Olive
      December 19, 2019 at 8:46 am

Brilliant suggestions! Thank you!

Maggie Moore
    November 25, 2019 at 12:47 pm

My side of the family always requests that I bring this to Thanksgiving. As mentioned above, it does get pretty watery. I’ve dealt with his by put it in a strainer (and the strainer into a huge bowl) for the couple hours of chilling time. Easy, no fuss! Great recipe!

Flo Alexander
    December 11, 2019 at 3:03 pm

You mention letting the sugar soak into the cranberries, I don’t see sugar in the recipe. Thanks looks great

Darlene W.
    December 31, 2019 at 6:09 am

Tried pinning this but it won’t pin because it doesn’t come up with a picture. 🙁