Hope you love it as well!
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 15 servings
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
1 pound Italian Sausage
1/2 T red pepper flakes
1 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 T crumbled bacon pieces (I used Hormel precooked bacon)
8 C chicken broth
2 C water
1 C half and half
2 large russet potatoes, sliced thin
3 C Kale, chopped
salt and pepper
2. While the sausage is cooking, slice up your potatoes. Nice and thin, now.
3. Then quarter the slices.
4. Chop up your onions, and mince your garlic.
5. Once the sausage is cooked remove it to a plate, and pour your onions, garlic and bacon into the soup pot. Saute them, stirring frequently until the onions are transparent.
6. Add the broth and water to the soup pot.
7. Carefully pour in your potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the potatoes cook. Should only take about 10 minutes.
8. While your taters are cooking wash up your Kale. This lovely image above is Kale. I have to admit, when I read the original recipe I though. “Kale? What in the world is Kale? Is that some kind of bird without the U sound in its name?” Don’t tell anyone how exceedingly lame I am, ok? Thanks. ‘Precieate it. Kale, my friends is a thick leafy vegetable that can be found in a regular grocery store in the produce section. Easy. Much easier than finding Quail, as far as I can tail tell.
Roughly chop up your Kale into small pieces.
9. Once your potatoes have cooked through, add the half and half,
and the Italian Sausage. Cook the soup just until it is heated through.
10. Add your Kale, remove from the heat and serve.
Enjoy and have a great weekend everyone!