If you are looking for something fun and festive to take a long to your next holiday party, this baby just might be it.
Loaded with chocolate flavor, this bundt cake is moist and rich. Creamy peppermint frosting, chocolate ganache and crushed candy canes adorn the top of this beauty making for a fun presentation and out of this world taste. If peppermint and chocolate are your kind of thing.
Hope you give it a try, guys. 🙂
Let me show you how to make it happen…
Peppermint Fudge Bundt Cake
Time: 30 minutes prep + 55 minutes baking + time to cool
Yield: 15 servings
Recipe adapted from my Double Chocolate Cake recipe
3/4 C semi sweet chips
1 C whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 box devils food cake mix
1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
1/3 C flour
1/3 C sour cream
1/3 C oil
1 1/2 C water
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
4 Tb butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp milk
4-5 drops red food coloring
15 mini candy canes
1. Pour 1 C whipping cream over the top of 3/4 C semi sweet chocolate chips.
2. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each cooking period. (Full ganache tutorial found here). It will look kind of funky for the first couple of minutes, but should turn nice and smooth for you eventually. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and dash of salt. Set it aside. It will thicken as it cools down and should be the proper consistency (think, “thin pudding”) by the time your cake has cooked and cooled.
3. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
4. Into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl place 1 devils food cake mix, 1 small box chocolate pudding and 1/3 cup flour. Toss them together to combine.
5. Add 1/3 C sour cream, 1/3 C oil, 1 1/2 C water and 4 eggs and mix for 2 minutes, or until nice and glossy.
6. Add 1 tsp peppermint extract…
and 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
7. Generously spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
8. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and allow it to sit on your counter and cool for 5 minutes. Place a wire rack over the pan…
and invert! Lovely. 🙂 Allow the cake to cool completely.
10. Unwrap 15 miniature candy canes and place them in a ziploc bag. Crush them a rolling-pin.
11. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl place 4 Tb butter (softened) and 1 package cream cheese (softened). Beat until smooth. Add 3 1/2 C powdered sugar, 1 tsp peppermint extract, 1 tsp milk, 4-5 drops red food coloring and a dash of salt. Beat until glossy and smooth.
12. Place the frosting into a quart sized ziploc bag.
Snip a hole in the end of the bag and pipe the frosting over the top of the cake.
13. Your ganache should have cooled down and be thick enough to drizzle on the cake. If it’s too thick, you can pop it in the microwave for a 10 seconds and it will thin out a bit for you. After you drizzle it along the side, pour the rest into the center. Trust me, you don’t want to waste it. 🙂
14. Immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top of the ganache.
You can serve it immediately, or refrigerate until you are ready to use. Once the ganache is refrigerated it will be thicker and fudge like. Yum! Either way is great.
Here is a “Pin-able” image, if Pinterest is your kind of thing…