This is one of my very best recipes. These breadsticks can be made from scratch in about 40 minutes, from start to finish. They are light and delicious with any kind of Italian dish, or with soup. This recipe makes one cookie sheet, or about 36 small 2×5 inch breadsticks. It works great in a Kitchen Aid. If you are going to use a Bosch you’ll need to double the recipe.
Quick and Easy Breadsticks
Yield: 36 small breadsticks
Time: 45 minutes start to finish
Recipe from my cousin Pam Corry
1 1/2 C warm water
2 T sugar
1 T yeast
1/2 t salt
3 1/2- 4 C flour
1/4 C butter (not that nasty margarine crap)
3/4 C grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
Johnny’s Garlic Seasoning
1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast together in a measuring cup or in the bottom of your mixer. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and the flour, one cup at a time, until it is well incorporated. Mix on high for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
3. Melt the butter and pour half of it into a jelly roll pan (large cookie sheet).
4. Place the dough in the center of the pan. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Letting the dough rest makes it MUCH easier to shape.
5. Spread the dough out flat onto the pan until it reaches all of the edges. Doing all of the spreading and cutting of these bread sticks, in the pan makes cleaning up your counter so much easier!
6. Pour the other half of the butter onto the dough. Spread it around with your hands. Sprinkle the Johnny’s Garlic Seasoning all over the dough, and then the Parmesan cheese.
7. With a pizza cutter cut the dough into three rows lengthwise, and then into about 12 little height wise rows.
8. Put the pan into a 170 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes. The breadsticks should rise about 1 inch.
9. Turn you oven up to 350 and bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
That’s it! They are wonderful. I have played around with a variety of things that can be put on the top. I will post those recipes in the days to come! Johnny’s Garlic Spread seasoning is one in a million. I buy it at Costco, and keep several in my long term food storage. It’s really great to have on hand. ENJOY!