Healthy Oven Baked Onion Rings

Healthy Oven Baked Onion Rings

Hold on to your hats everybody, I’ve got a healthy recipe for you today. Oven Baked Onion Rings are the topic of discussion on this stormy spring day. These yummy Onion Rings are a fun little project that everyone in my family loves to gobble up.

Yes, even the boy who says he “hates” onions.
I think he’s just afraid of having onion breath.
You know how everything is so embarrassing when you are in middle school. I wouldn’t want him to be forced to breath his onion breath on any of the “SeriouslyHotGirls” he keeps telling me about.
“Seriously, Mom…..SO HOT.” are his exact words.
Puts a smile on my face, that he’s willing to chat with me about things like this. Sure hope it lasts!

On second thought….eat all the onion rings you want buddy! Let’s keep the “SeriouslyHotGirls” interested in someone else.
Here’s to the power of onion breath….hope you get stricken with some today.
Healthy Oven Baked Onion Rings
Yield: 6 Servings
Time: 1 hour
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
5 large onions
1 C milk
1 C flour
2-3 C Italian bread crumbs
1. Slice your onions into rings.
2. Pour your flour out onto a plate and dredge each ring in the flour one at a time. Place the rings on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
3. Slide the cookie sheet in your freezer for about 15 minutes.
4. Pour the milk into a shallow pan (I use a pie dish) and dredge each onion rings in the milk.
5. Put the bread crumbs in a shallow pan (pie dish for this step as well folks) and dredge each onion ring in the bread crumbs.
6. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. You want your rings to lay flat on the sheet, so you may need to use 2 cookies sheets depending on how big your onions are.
Serve with ketchup or BBQ sauce.

April 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

oh, this sounds yummy-have to try these!!

April 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

So I seriously love your blog. (I have twin boys too, but they are almost 9.) We had your french bread with dinner last night and it was so good! My 4 year old DD and I ate almost a whole loaf when it came out of the oven. We had the apple pancakes for breakfast this morning and I have to agree with you about the syrup. It seriously is to die for. I added a little nutmeg to it…Yum. It would be great served over ice cream or just on a spoon. My kids all licked their plates so they didn't miss any and the pancakes were delicious too. I love onion rings; they might have to make an appearance this weekend! Thanks for all the great recipes.

April 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm

You are killing me.

April 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Kim,
    Thanks for letting me know about your successes with these recipes. I am happy you are enjoying them! Good luck with the Onion Rings!

April 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I'm going to try this for dinner tonight! thanks for the recipe!

May 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Onions are a huge thing at my house. I have a teenage daughter and hubby who love them. I can't tell you how many times I write “saute the onions” on my blog. I made PW's onion rings once, they were delicious, but it was sooo messy I haven't made them again. Your version seems more up my alley. I will be trying them soon! Thanks Denise@cottagesisters

May 12, 2010 at 1:11 am

Great looking baked onion rings!

May 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I made these last night – FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for the great, easy, healthy recipes! :)

July 22, 2010 at 8:06 pm

when i bought my house throught costa rica homes for sale i wanted a great kitchen with a big space to put a big oven. Now i can baking every kind of cakes in there.

August 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I've always been too intimidated to try making onion rings. Usually if I am craving them, I'll just go out to a restaurant. I thought you might like this recipe to go with the onion rings: Burger King Onion Ring Sauce. Keep up the good work!

January 26, 2011 at 5:41 am

The onion rings are lovely! This is really something! I wish I can perfect mine.

February 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

Home-made onion-rings are a joke in my apartment. The boyfriend doesn't understand my determination to make the perfect oven-baked rings, and usually, they turn out a disaster, but I tried your recipe and they were awesome!

Thanks for breaking my onion-ring curse!

February 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Just made these for as a superbowl snacker and they are delicious! Love that crunch and the onion is just a little soft, perfect!

February 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

This is brilliant! I love this recipe SO much! Thank you <3

Bill
    September 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Horrible recipe. Repeat: Horrible recipe. Recipe author ought to be horse whipped