ps_menu_class_0
ps_menu_class_1
ps_menu_class_2

How to make your own Tiered Serving Platter for ***CHEAP***

Hello everyone!
I have a fun, inexpensive little idea for you all today. It is after all going to Mothers Day soon I thought you might enjoy a fun gift idea.
 I was at a wedding shower a few weeks ago and someone brought some delightful lemon squares on the most lovely tiered platter. I asked where she had gotten the platter and she revealed…….
some one had….
 MADE IT FOR HER.
“Hmmmm.” I thought
“Wow!” I said.
“I could do that for super cheap!” I kept thinking all day.
All I would need are some cute dishes, a little Epoxy (found at any Home Depot or Lowes) and some inexpensive candle stick holders.
I have been on the look out ever since for some cute dishes.
I found these fun dishes at Walmart. All of them were under $2 a piece. The candle stick holders I found at Hobby Lobby on sale for $1.50 each.
These cute Forth of July dishes came from Target. The grand total for this platter was about $4.
I found these sunny dishes as my local Macey’s Grocery Store. If you watch in the seasonal section of most grocery stores they usually carry a small selection of dishes that match the current season. I’ve been buying some here and there to use in my food photo shoots. These dishes were $1.50 a piece.
The candle stick holder is from Hobby Lobby, but these fun dishes came from Target. They have so many fun, cheap (99cents for many of them) summery dishes right now. I thought it would be fun to use this cute blue cup as the stand for these colorful dishes. Wouldn’t they be cute at a kids birthday party loaded with fun crackers or cookies? You could even epoxy the cup on the top and use it for dips. The possibilities are really endless!
This is the epoxy we used. Cost is about $4. It can be found in the paint section of Home Depot or Lowes. It will be with the other glues and caulks.You can purchase epoxy that will set up in a variety of times. You’ll want to the kind that sets up in 5 minutes. If you purchase Epoxy that sets up in 90 seconds you won’t have time to get it on your dishes before it starts to harden. Trust me folks. Give yourself the 5 minute window of opportunity.
Find a paper plate, and some toothpicks. Squeeze the epoxy out of the tube and mix it around with a toothpick.
On the bottom of your candlestick holder carefully apply the epoxy.
Thanks to MyHandsomeHusband for his assistance in putting them together!
Place the epoxied end of the candle stick holder in the center of your plate. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then put the epoxy on the top of the candlestick holder and place your top dish on it.
Let the epoxy sit to set up for about 2 hours. It will harden pretty quickly but I would leave it alone for the 2 hours just to be sure everything is set in stone.
Have fun! Give one to your self, give one to your Mom, Give one to your sisters, give one to a friend. At this cheap price you can afford to! Have a great day everyone!
Recipe for these great looking Peanut Butter Cupcakes comming to a blog near you soon……

1. ButterYum says:

Very, very cute!!

ButterYum

2. Jess says:

oh how wonderful! Too bad we are far away from our families and it costs too much to ship stuff but awesome idea for others who are close to us!!! What section did you find the epoxy in at Home Depot? I plan on heading there tomorrow along with Target to pick up some cute plates and run around town to find some candle sticks!

3. Jess,
    You can find epoxy in the paint section at any Home Depot or Lowes. It will be with the other glues and caulks.
    Also, I couldn't find candle stick holders at Walmart, but did find them at Hobby Lobby. Most craft stores would carry them, I would think.
    I would love to see what cute dishes you find and how yours turn out!
    Thanks!

4. April says:

What a fun and neat idea!

5. Sonya says:

What a great idea! Im going to see what I can come up with..might be fun to buy a few dishes you love but can aford to buy the whole set of..or maybe finding vintage ones at a thrift shop. Thanks for such a great idea!

6. Cecilia says:

Love the idea! Will definitely try this out soon!

7. Marti says:

Definitely book-a-marking this one! Thanks!

8. Carla says:

I love this idea!!!! so cute – I can't wait to make myself a set

9. Anonymous says:

Ooh, great, easy gift idea! I see beautiful dishes all the time and wonder what I can do with them, now I know. I wonder how a silver candle stick would look.

10. Emily says:

I love this. Now I will be on the hunt for cute dishes.

11. I LOVE THIS idea!!! I will be making these! I've always wanted some cute serving platters and they really are expensive (especially for a college student).. This is so inventive! they look great.

12. Tricia says:

your talents and energy constantly amaze me!

13. I love it! I will definitely add it to my “to make soon list”. Thanks for sharing!

14. Rebekah says:

OMGOSH So cute! I love it! My sister is buying a house and I am so making one of these for her.

15. Melissa says:

GREAT idea!! Wow! I really want to go whip up a whole bunch of these now, starting with that colorful one from Target! Problem being: where the heck would I store these when they are not in use? Ack!

Thanks for sharing!

16. meganparker says:

I found candlesticks at Target in a four pack for only $2.99- can't beat that price. I already made six different platters and I am wanting to make more, I love them. Everyone I know will be getting one as a gift this year! Thanks Jamie!

17. Found this from a link on a friend's blog. Adorable, and perfect for a non-crafty person like myself.

I see a Target run in my future.

18. Seahaghaz says:

Are you using plastic and glass and ceramic? This is an absoultely Wonderful Idea! Thanks so very much for sharing it!

19. Seahaghaz,
    I have found that ceramic works best. The plastic ones look so cute, but come apart if not handled and stored with care. Good luck! Hope you have fun with them.

20. sundayshine says:

OK that is just way to clever not to mention cool. I hope I saved some of my old candlesticks.
    I want to start making some Ü

21. Patti says:

Great idea!! I've been looking for inexpensive serving platters for my daughter's bridal shower…these will be perfect!

22. What a wonderful idea, I love it!

23. Anonymous says:

What a FAB idea…. Love it and thank you for sharing :)))

Annie

24. Emma says:

I just saw this – what a great idea! I really want to have more serving dishes now that we are finally settled and don't have to move again – at least that's the idea right?! Now I've got to do some bargain shopping!

25. Morgan says:

Hello, Thanks for posting. I'll be making like 16 of these made of various plates for my potluck-dessert wedding reception. But I found this great museum Wax/earthquake putty by Quake Hold that will let me take them apart after the wedding to use the dishes as regular dishes. Couldn't find it in stores, but had to order off of home depot's website.

26. LuAnn says:

I have things I need to do today, but I think a little detour into Target might be ok…just to check out the dishes. I paid a price for just a pedestal that holds about 6 or 7 cupcakes. Wish I'd seen this first. Cute ideas.

27. sil says:

I made these a couple of years in a row for Christmas. I filled them with home made goodies and tied a ribbon around the base. They look so pretty and were a big hit! I bought plates at second hand stores and the candle stix you can find during the off season at any dollar store…

28. Pauline says:

Thanks for the great ideas for plates and combinations and the info on using epoxy from Home Depot! I definitely want to make one of these sometime, so I can proudly and beautifully display the baked goodies I make. Thanks! ;D

29. Christine says:

I wanted to make tiered serving trays out of my grandma's china. I obviously didn't want to use glue, so I used duck tape! It worked great!! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

30. Darling Kimba says:

Just don’t leave them in the sun… the glue will go yellow.
    I’ve tried a couple of glues for glass and so far, if left in the sun for an extended period of time the glue goes yellow or brown.

31. Karen says:

I want more, I want more!! Ingenious ideas that is! lOVE THIS ONE!

32. Suzanne says:

Love this idea!!! I’m going to hit the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores to see if I can find some fun and unique plates and different things like cups, dessert bowls and candle sticks for the bases.

33. BagsOK Tote says:

Excellent, what a webpage it is! This weblog presents
    useful information to us, keep it up.

34. Hello, for all time i used to check blog posts here in the early hours in the break of day,
    for the reason that i enjoy too find out more and more.