Buttermilk Pancakes

Buttermilk Pancakes

In southern Utah there is a quaint cabin tucked into the hillside surrounding Panguitch Lake. It’s been there as long as I can remember, with its wide wooden porch, upstairs loft of toys, and lovely owner…who happens to be my Aunt Pat. She is a dear little lady with a knack for fishing, generously giving, and making a mean stack of Buttermilk Pancakes. Which she will happily make for you, if you sleep overnight at her cabin (and play with the fashion plates in her toy loft, which I may or may not have done when I visited her there a couple of  years ago.)

Aunt Pat’s Buttermilk Pancake recipe is hands down the best pancake recipe I have ever tried. Not that I’m trying to pour ill will on the several pancake recipes that are already in my archives. School Morning Pancakes, Pumpkin Pancakes, Chocolate Chip PancakesOatmeal Pancakes, and Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes all have their place in this world and in my life. I wouldn’t want to hurt their feelings you know. That said, if you are looking for a true, classic Buttermilk Pancake recipe…pretty please, my friends. Look no further. This is the recipe you have been waiting for.

Get your self some buttermilk, butter, a nice mixing bowl and whisk and you will be just minutes away from Buttermilk Pancake heaven.

Let’s do it, baby.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Time:15 minutes
Yield: 10 medium sized pancakes
Recipe from my Aunt Pat

1 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
2 T butter, melted (do not, at this time, or any other time in your life consider using margarine)
1 C + 2 T buttermilk (no substitutions please)
1 egg, beaten

1. Into a medium sized mixing bowl place 1 cup flour

1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

2. Add to the mix 1 tablespoon of sugar

and whisk it all around to combine.

3. Pour in 2 tablespoons of melted butter

1 cup + 2 tablespoons of buttermilk

and 1 beaten egg. Whisk it together to combined. Don’t over mix here. Just get everything combined and you are good to go.

4. Spray a hot griddle with cooking spray and pour the batter onto it in small circles.

5. Flip the pancakes over when the batter stops bubbling and the underside is golden brown. Allow the other side to turn nice and golden brown and remove the pancakes to a plate. Serve with maple syrup.

Enjoy!

January 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Looks yummy! Gotta try this one!

TYFS
    califncsun

January 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My girls love homemade pancakes and I make them every time they come home from College. I am most certainly giving this recipe a try. It sounds yummy! Perfect comfort food….

January 25, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Yup – I would jump out of bed for these in the morning – perfection!
    Mary x

January 25, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hi there! I found you on Pinterest, and your food looks incredibly yummy!!! These pancakes looks so light and fluffy and your pictures are great!
    I'll be back to visit and see what else you're cookin' up!
    Feel free to come by and visit my Cozy Little Kitchen sometime, too. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

Stephanie G.
    January 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm

These pancakes are the BEST!!! I was so excited to try them out, I made them for LUNCH today. Thanks for sharing.

January 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Our cabin is just over the mountain at Navajo Lake. We spent many summer days hiking down the mountain to the lodge to buy taffy. Nothing tastes better than food at the cabin, however I'm guessing these are hands-down better than Krusteaz pancakes. LOL! We will be having these on Saturday morning.

January 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Thank you for bringing back some wonderful memories of my own aunt's cabin! And I am always looking for the perfect pancake recipe. Pinning!

January 26, 2012 at 2:39 am

ohhhh looks soooo good!

January 26, 2012 at 3:47 am

I grew up around Panguitch (just across the mountain) and have such fond memories there. My family also has a cabin about 20 miles from Panguitch, but more out towards Bryce Canyon. We always have pancakes when we're at the cabin as well. Something about cooking them on a cast iron skillet that makes them better too I think!

Now you've got me missing home!! That's where my husband and I want to retire…..some day!:) Lot's of good memories!

Oh, and your pancakes look delicious!! Can't wait to try them!

January 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

I have a cabin at Panguitch Lake, I always cook pancakes on the outside grill, (even on our winter trip, once is was 30 below and I was still outside cooking pancakes) Our winter trip is in a couple of weeks can't wait to try these! Char

January 27, 2012 at 5:09 am

Jamie, just today I thought.. “I need to find a recipe that uses Buttermilk” I had bought some for another recipe and didn't end up using it. Ha ha! I am definitely going to try this recipe! Thanks!

January 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

This look delicious. Gotta try this

February 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Just tried making these and my flour mixture just clumped up at the bottom. I did everything in order as stated but still it clumped up and basically separated..what did I do wrong?!?!?!

February 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Don't be worried. I have had that happen in the past as well. The best I can tell is that it has to do with the brand of flour I'm using. Generic (like the Walmart store brand) flour is pretty clumpy. However, all is not lost. Use a fork next time when you are whisking the wet ingredients into the dry. Use it to press any large clumps against the side of the bowl. Should work fine for you. Better luck, next time! Hope you make them again.
      Thanks,

February 7, 2014 at 7:08 pm

There all great pics, but I have a soft spot for the image of your son in the blue hat. His pose makes you wonder what meshciif or secret is on his mind. BTW, did you see that I have a writing contest on. You should enter and share some of that motherly wisdom. You have a gift for writing.

Karin
    February 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm

These are seriously the best pancakes I have ever had! I make them once a week for dinner now with Buttermilk syrup and it's heavenly! My husband doesn't like pancakes but when he gets home from overseas I think these beauties will change his mind!

February 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

Do you think it is ok to use homemade buttermilk….where you add 1T of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 c milk?

Alless
      February 23, 2014 at 11:43 am

I have only been making these pancakes with homemade buttermilk (1 cup milk + 2 tbsp vinegar), and they always turn out GREAT! I’ve never purchased buttermilk in my life.

February 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Karrens,
    I haven't ever tried it with homemade buttermilk, but my thoughts are that it wouldn't work out as well. Real buttermilk is quite thick, a consistancy you don't get when you add vinegar to buttermilk.
    However, that said. If you try it with homemade buttermilk I would imagine you would need less flour by about 2 Tablespoons.
    Good luck! I hope this helps!

February 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I will put buttermilk on my grocery list. :)

Jackie
    November 16, 2012 at 7:01 am

These were indeed the best buttermilk pancakes I have made thus far. My whole family LOVED them.
    Please know I was on a quest for a new buttermilk pancake recipe every weekend that I had to make pancakes. But this recipe here has totally halted that quest.
    Thanks so much!!!!!