It’s that time of year again, dear reader.
The time of the Blessed Zucchini.
Several years ago a dear neighbor and friend brought me a few pieces of this heavenly Chocolate Pecan Zucchini Cake. It is absolutely wonderful, and as I mentioned in the title…super moist. Shredded Zucchini can do that to a recipe, you know. It can turn a plain old chocolate cake, moist and delicious.
Hope you make it…hope you love it.
PS…if chocolate isn’t your thing, give this Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting a try. It’s fabulous as well.
Have a great weekend, everyone! May you get some nice R and R, and may the zucchini in your garden grow nice and big so you can make this cake.
Super Moist Chocolate Pecan Zucchini Cake
Time: 15 minutes prep + 35-40 minutes baking
Yield: 12-15 servings
Recipe from the lovely Paula Bowers
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C canola oil
1 3/4 C sugar
2 1/2 C flour
4 T cocoa
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1 t baking soda
2 C shredded zucchini
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C pecans, chopped
1 C chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl, place 1/2 C softened butter,1/2 C canola oil, 1 3/4 C sugar
3. Mix it well, about 3 minutes should do it.
4. Into a medium sized mixing bowl place 2 1/2 C flour, 4 T cocoa, 1/2 t baking powder, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t cloves and 1 t baking soda.
5. Whisk it around making sure all ingredients are well distributed.
6. Pour 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla into the mixer.
7. Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
8. Peel yourself some zucchini and shred it all up. You need a total of two cups. Add it to the chocolate cake batter and mix until combined.
9. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the batter in. Spread it around with a knife.
10. Roughly chop up some pecans, 1/2 a cup would be just perfect.
11. Pour the pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup milk chocolate chips into the same mixing bowl you used for the dry ingredients. (Why dirty up two bowls, right?)
12. Toss the topping ingredients together and sprinkle them over the top of the cake batter.
13. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream. It’s really good the second and third day as well, just reheat it in the microwave.