Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels

Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
Pocket

Hey there, fine reader.

It’s Valentines Day, you know.
I sure hope you have a little (or big) someone you like to kiss and hug. Because hugging and kissing is pretty nice to do on Valentines Day, don’t you think? A long kiss on the lips of your sweetheart, a gentle kiss on the forehead of your scraggly haired 5 year old, a sweet kiss on the cheek for dear old mom, or how about a nice big bear hug for your teenage daughter or son. All good. All great in fact.

I hope you get to have all (or at least one) of the above. 🙂
And if not…don’t sweat it. Tomorrow the day of love will have passed and there will be a lot of cheap Valentines Day candy on clearance at Walmart. Happy days are here again, right?

These Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels are absolutely scrumptious, come together in less than and hour and will put a lovely smile on the face of all the folks you love.  They are wonderful served warm from the oven.  They are also pretty great cold from the fridge. I  tucked them into my kids’ lunches for a few days last week. They seemed to think that was pretty cool.
Let’s make them, shall we?

Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels

Time: 45 minutes start to finish
Yield: 24 pinwheels
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

1 1/2 C warm water
2 T sugar
1 T yeast
1/2 t salt
4-4 1/2 C flour
1 pound deli ham, sliced thin
2 C cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Pour 1 1/2 C warm water into your stand mixer and preheat your oven to 170 degrees. (You read it right…170 degrees is all you need.)

2.  Add 2 tablespoons sugar

and 1 tablespoon yeast. Turn the mixer on low for about 30 seconds allowing the ingredients to combine. Let it rest for 5 minutes, or until it gets all bubbly.

3. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt

and 2 cups flour. Turn the mixer on to low and let the flour mix in. Add the rest of the flour (2 1/2 cups worth) one cup at a time. When the dough pulls itself away from the side of the bowl, you have enough flour.
4. Turn the mixer to medium speed and allow it to mix for 5 minutes.

5. Spray your counter with cooking spray, divide the dough into two equal parts and allow them to rest on the counter for 5 minutes. Don’t skip this step, ok? If you don’t let the dough rest it won’t roll out nicely and then you might start to cry and then your kids would think you have lost you mind. Thanks for your cooperation.

6. After the dough has rested roll the old girl out into a large rectangle.

7. Cover it with half of the ham

and sprinkle it with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.

8. Roll the dough up starting at the longer end.

9. Spray a large knife with cooking spray and slice the roll into 12 rounds.

10. Place each pinwheel onto a large cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
11. Repeat steps 6-10 with the other half of the dough.

12. Place both pans into your warm 170 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until they start to rise just a bit. You don’t want them to get super puffy, you just want the dough to have the chance to expand a little, like you see in the picture above.
13. Turn the oven up to 350 degrees (don’t take the pans out of the oven) and let the pinwheels bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown along the top and bottom.

14. Take the pans out of the oven and let the pinwheels rest for about 5 minutes…then gobble them up.

Enjoy!
Pinterest friendly image below…
Hot Ham and Cheese Pinweels from Jamie Cooks It Up!

February 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm

These look super yummy!! Just wondering a couple of things. About how big did you roll out your rectangle and would these freeze well?

February 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Roll the dough out about as wide as your rolling pin, about 15 inches by 20 inches…give or take. 🙂 I haven't ever tried freezing them, but my thoughts are that they would freeze really well. Good luck!

Karen
    February 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I love this recipe! I will be making these this weekend. I might put a little mustard on them before I bake them. Thanks for the tip of letting your baked goods rise in the oven while it heats up. That works so well. Have a great day Jamie!

February 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I LOVE this idea! I think it will be great in my son's lunches. I guess my question is, are they still yummy cold??? Do you have any other lunch “sandwich” ideas, my son does not like the standard PB&J or really any sandwich for that matter! Thanks!

February 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for your question. They are pretty darn good cold, as well as hot. I sent them in my kids lunch for several days after I made them. Good luck! Hope you enjoy them.

February 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Yummy! These look delicious and I know my family would love them! Can't go wrong with ham and cheese 🙂

February 15, 2012 at 6:19 am

I was just going to ask the same thing about freezing them, but I think they probably would. I am definitely going to try these out tomorrow! And I'll freeze some and let you know how it works out… Thanks for the recipe!

February 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm

These really look delicious. I am new to your blog and based on this entry decided to spend sometime browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

February 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

What a wonderful recipe–I really like that you make your own dough! My boys will love these!

February 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hey Jamie, do you think I could get away with making these with swiss cheese?

February 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Would frozen bread dough work with these?

February 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hi, again, I was the one who asked about packing these in my sons lunch. WELL…..He LOVED it, so did my kids who are still at home (I loved them too!). So easy to put together and so good. The dough is beautiful! The crispy cheese on the bottom is the best! Thank you for ANOTHER great recipe! (Makes me wonder why I never did this before, I am constantly making homeade pizza and pizza rolls……thanks for coming up with it and sharing!)

February 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I make a similar recipe. I sprinkle on some dried onion soup mix. It is one of my 22 year old son's favorite meals.

February 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

first the crispy cheddar chicken and now these. I just love your stuff. so happy to be following you. when you get a chance check out my blog http://www.questfordelish.blogspot.com

February 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Ok so I think if I made 24 of these I would end up eating the extra 12. Not really on the diet plan! Do you think you could do cinnamon rolls out of the other 1/2 of the dough? Would you cook them the same? Yes, cinnamon rolls would also NOT be part of the diet plan but I can avoid sweet easier than I can avoid savory. Or would freezing the dough work better to have for next time? What is your expert advice?

February 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Tracy,
    I would go ahead and make the whole batch, then freeze half of them in a gallon sized ziploc bag. Then you can have some for another meal. 🙂 However, if you would like to make cinnamon rolls, this dough would work well for that. The dough itself doesn't freeze very well. Good luck! Hope you love the recipe.

February 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I made these and they were really good, but I didn't have to add more than about 3 cups of flour. 4 -4 1/2 cups of flour would have been way too much. Is the the measurement right for the flour?

February 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Hi Anonymous,
      I usually add right around 4 cups to mine, however this changes depending on the weather. I'm so glad you liked them. Thanks for letting me know.

March 3, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hi… these do look wonderful! Question about freezing them… would you suggest freezing them prior to baking or after?

March 5, 2012 at 5:19 am

Hi Inger,
    It's best to bake them first, then let them cool and pop the leftovers into a freezer safe ziploc bag. Good luck! Hope you enjoy them.

March 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I really think these would be good with scrambled eggs and fresh fruit for breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner.

March 13, 2012 at 5:04 am

This may sound silly, but can I hand mix the dough? My fiancè bought me a nice mixer for my Birthday, but I can not use it while living in my parent's solar-powered house.

March 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hi Jessie,
      You can definitely mix them by hand. I would knead the dough for about 5 minutes, then cover it and let it rise in a warm spot for about and hour. Then you'll be ready to roll it out and shape it.
      Good luck! Hope you get to use your mixer soon!

February 8, 2014 at 1:16 am

Want an easy way to earn money?Simply? register to MEGATYPERS COM,? enter code ALK (you connat? register without the code), solve captchas. Get paid. Simple.

March 14, 2012 at 12:00 am

Thank you! I hope to make these soon.

April 10, 2012 at 3:50 am

oh BE STILL MY HEART! LOL! yummy yummy yummy!

Brenda Smith
    September 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I make these all the time except I mix a little mayo and dijon mustard together, spread on the dough, then top with the ham and cheese. Also, I use swiss cheese, but that’s just a personal choice.

Jack WU
    October 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD TECH!! Ft. Bradley

Christen
    December 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

So good!!! Just made these!!!

Rachel
    February 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hi Jamie,
    I’ve made these before and absolutely loved them. I visit your site often and would like to thank you for all the amazing recipes. I was wondering if its possible to make these the day before, put them in the fridge and then cook them before guests arrive. Thanks again for sharing.

Alicia
    July 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Could you use a premade dough of some sort? Just curious. I also do not have a stand mixer. Should I use handheld or mix by hand?

July 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hi Alicia,
      You certainly can use premade dough. I would recommend using Rhodes frozen dough. Just follow the thawing instructions on the back of the package. Good luck!

February 7, 2014 at 11:28 pm

EMZ, you are my one and only, you know that…besides, half the time I don’t even understand Quinton with all his Celsius and kmtoielers mumbo jumbo.

Cris
    July 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

They look amazing! If I made them a day ahead of time would they be too dry? I thought you might have to use a sauce of some kind with something like this.

July 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Cris,
      They won’t be quite as good the second day, however it you pop them back into the oven just for a few minutes to warm them, they will be wonderful. Good luck! Hope you love them!

Candice
    July 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Just made these for supper…let me just say my daughter Never!!! Has seconds and she did tonight! She also ignored the corn on her plate, which is her favorite veggie! Yum yum yum

Jayne Ann Thayn
    July 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Maybe someone already asked this, but did you use a conventional oven, or a convection oven? Putting both pans in at the same time, do they cook evenly? 🙂 they look so yummy x

Cyndi
    July 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

This looks like such a great idea but I’m not so fond of ham and cheese so I’m gonna slather some cheez whiz on the dough and layer it with roast beef and cooked onions and peppers. And I’m using frozen dough so.. Hope for the best?

Shelley
    July 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Do you think the dough could be made in a bread machine set to the dough setting?

This sounds sooooo good!

August 2, 2013 at 10:16 am

Shelly,
      Absolutely. Good luck!

Kate
    August 1, 2013 at 3:15 am

170 F or C ?

Chelle
    August 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Made these tonight. Served half with supper and froze the rest once they cooled. Very good! And went together so fast. Definitely adding these to my rotation 🙂

Kristin M
    August 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I made a couple changes. I used ham and salami with mozzerella and about 1/4 cup Italian dressing. I also didn’t cut them into rolls, I just baked the loaves and cut slices after baking. Awesome and versatile recipe! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Leah
    August 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

What type of yeast did you use?

August 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Leah,
      I use active dry yeast. Good luck!

Suse
    August 19, 2013 at 12:14 am

Looks so so good – I don’t have a stand mixer though can this dough recipe be made without one ?

August 20, 2013 at 7:51 am

Sue,
      If you are kneading it by hand, I would suggest letting it rise for an hour afterwords. Then punch the dough down, and knead it again for several minutes. Then you should be ready to shape it and bake. Good luck!

KH
    August 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I think these would be good with pineapple and mozz. cheese and then dipped in pizza sauce. (:

Joey
    August 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm

These were great! Thank you for helping us out of our dinner rut. We only needed 12 (there is only 4of us) so I am using the other half to make breakfast pinwheels. Finned with scrambled eggs and sausage!

Jo
    September 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I just made these for breakfast and it is amazingly good!

Had some leftover dough n I rolled them to make cinnamon rolls. Equally perfect!

Thank you Jamie! Looking forward to more bread recipe fom you!! Hugz!

Cherise
    September 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I made these this evening. Mixed the dough by hand, gave it a good rest til it doubled, rolled out and added pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. I only baked one pan at a time as I was nervous about 2 pans in my conventional oven but I don’t think these will last til next week for my son’s lunches.

carmen
    September 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I made these..but they turned hard..I don’t have a professional mixer,,I used the regular one..and maybe the water was to hot..tell me what i DID WRONG!! but I really like the flavor!!

September 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Carmen,
      A Kitchen Aid mixer really can make all the difference. Also, make sure that you aren’t adding too much flour, or cooking them too long. Good luck!

October 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hi Jamie,

My water is always either too hot or too cold and my yeast ends up dying. My thermometer isn’t working right now. I just wanted to know how warm is warm and if it isn’t warm enough are we baking at 170 to help the yeast react?

Thanks!
    Nykiah

October 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi Nykiah,
      Thanks for your question. The water should be warm, but not hot. Might I ask if you are using old yeast? Sometimes yeast can loose it’s luster and stop working well if it gets too old. You may want to check the expiration date. Also, putting it in a warm oven just helps speed up the rising time, the yeast should have already started to activate it step 2, when it’s added to the warm water. If your yeast/water mixture doesn’t bubble up I would bet your water is too cold, or your yeast is too old. Hope this helps!

Erin
    October 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Could you use the pizza dough in grocery stores? If so, how much and should you still let it rest?

Eleni
    October 9, 2013 at 11:55 am

I really love these! I’ve made them once before and I just had to make them again. Throw in a salad and it’s dinner!

Rikki
    October 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm

This recipe is amazing! Makes enough to give my family 2 days of meals. I switched it up one morning and used the dough for cinnamon rolls.. DELISH! Thank you! Thank you!!

denise
    October 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I tried this for niece party and it was gone in matters of seconds. this was an easy receipt thank you so much for sharing. I do have a question, if you are making more then 24 rolls can you raise all the dough on several pans in 170 degrees and pull 2 pans out and place 2 pans in and after those raise , can you start baking them or will it mess them up . I hope I just didn’t sound confusing. also another question I have is if u do the receipt for cinnamon rolls do u use plain cinnamon or mixed with sugar and if doing like pizza bites, do u do with sauce or no. thanks again