A few days ago MyLittleTwinBoysAaron sat down at the kitchen counter, rested his chin in his hands and simply said…
“Mom, I want you to tell me a story.”
“Oh yeah?” I said. “What kind of story would you like?”
“I want one about you. Tell me how it was when you were in your PRIME.”
I chuckled. Can you blame me? What kind of 7-year-old asks that kind of question. A boy who listens to his 16-year-old brother talk, I would suppose.
“Sure, I can tell you a story about me, but isn’t this my PRIME! I think I’m in my prime right now, wouldn’t you say?”
“Oh, no way Mom. You are totally past your prime. You’re like Prime-less.”
I laughed so hard, I almost cried. He was pretty proud of himself for thinking of such a funny joke the whole family got a chuckle out of.
After we had a good laugh with Aaron and his comedic personality, I had to ask myself with all of the seriousness I could muster…am I Prime-less? Has my life passed me by while I wasn’t looking! When I signed up to be a Mom, I totally expected it to be really, really great. Significantly great. I was naive of just how busy, exhausting, occasionally frustrating, and down right chaotic motherhood is. But at the end of every day, I can honestly say that being a Mom is the most amazing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. A challenge? Yes. Laden with grunt work? You betcha…dirty toilets here I come.
When all is said and done, loving on these kids of mine…watching and helping them grow, learn, develop, make mistakes, successfully tackle challenges and blossom into capable individuals, well. It’s quite simply the privilege of a lifetime.
Even if it appears to some that I am past my PRIME.
I do believe, I am smack dab in the middle of it.
If you are looking for a kid pleasing, family friendly meal, this Puffy Taco Casserole is it! All of my kids gave it the thumbs up. Love it when that happens. It’s chuck full of puffy biscuits, hearty taco meat and melted cheese. Top it with sour cream, salsa, crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes for a meal that is sure to please. It’s a fun twist on regular tacos. 🙂
Let’s make it. You and me, baby. While we are still in our PRIME…
Puffy Taco Casserole
Time: 20 minutes prep + 30 minutes baking
Yield: 6-7 servings
Recipe from sweet Amber Moleff
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (10.75 ounce) condensed tomato soup
2 T taco seasoning (or a 1 ounce package)
3/4 C water
1 (16.3 ounce) package Pillsbury Homestyle Grand Buttermilk Biscuits
2 C Mexican Blend Cheese, grated
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Into a hot skillet place 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef. Cook it over medium high heat, stirring frequently until the meat is browned. Drain any excess fat from the meat.
3. Add 1 can tomato soup, 3/4 cup water…
and 2 tablespoons (or 1 package) taco seasoning. Give everything a nice stir and let it simmer on the stove top for 3-4 minutes.
4. Grab a can of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits.
Chop each biscuit into 8-9 pieces.
5. Drop the biscuit pieces into the taco meat
and gently stir them in, so all the dough is covered in some of the meat.
6. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and spread the mixture into it.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, of until the meat mixture is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown.
8. Cover the casserole with 2 cups shredded cheese. I used a Mexican Cheese blend, but just plain cheddar would work as well. Toss the pan back into the oven and bake for 8 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
9. Let the pan sit on your counter and cool for 5 minutes, then cut it into slices.
and all of these fine treasures. You can add whatever you like.