If you are looking for a wonderful, healthy side dish to round out your dinner time menu…this is it, ladies and gentlemen! This Spinach and Mushroom Orzo pasta can be made in less than 30 minutes. It’s loaded with the aromatic flavors of sauteed mushrooms, garlic and onions but is also amazingly fresh tasting with the addition of spinach and fresh lemon juice.
Serve it with chicken, fish, pork or beef. Lots of possibilities with this one guys.
Hope you make it and love it!
Did you know there is a whole entire section of Healthy Recipes, living and breathing on this site. You thought I was all about butter and sugar, didn’t ya?
Spinach and Mushroom Orzo Pasta
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
4 mini red or orange sweet bell peppers
1 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 (1 pound) box Orzo pasta
3 cloves garlic
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
3 C spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Grab 4-5 mini bell pepper, half an onion and 8-10 mushrooms.
2. Chop them into small pieces.
3. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the veggies and cook until soft. Should take about 5 minutes.
4. While your veggies cook fill a medium-sized sauce pan with hot water. Bring it to a boil, add some salt and then pour in just half of a 1 pound box of Orzo pasta into the boiling water. Cook until it’s soft, but still has a bit of firmness to it. Drain the pasta into a colander you have set in your sink.
5. When your veggies are soft and cooked through…
chop 3 cloves of garlic and add it to the cooked veggies. Toss in a pinch of red pepper flakes and allow it all to cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Grab a nice bunch of spinach…
and chop about 3 cups worth.
7. Add the drained past and chopped spinach to the skillet.
8. Add 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and a bit of salt and pepper.
Give it all a nice stir to combine and allow the spinach to wilt just a bit.
9. Turn of the heat and add 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. (More if you would like).
10. Sprinkle 1/2 cup parmesan cheese over the pasta. Stir it in and allow it to melt just a bit.
11. Taste it and add more salt and pepper to your liking.
That’s it! Serve and enjoy!