This Blueberries and Cream Puff Pastry is a recipe packing a lot of “wow” factor. It looks beautiful, impressive…
lovely even! The puff pastry makes a wonderful flaky crust. Layered on top is a sweet, creamy filling and fresh blueberries. It’s simple, yet ever so delicious. Fabulous this time of year, with fresh blueberries in season. You could use fresh raspberries or strawberries as well with terrific results. It’s also super easy to make, gang. Truly it is. Is that what you came here for today? An easy recipe, with a lot of “wow” built right in? I thought you might have. I know I am always in need of that kind of thing. 🙂
Let me show you how to make it happen…
Blueberries and Cream Puff Pastry
Time: 20 minutes prep, 50 minutes total
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from Real Simple
***NOTE: You can make this 3-4 hours in advance.***
1 Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed (found in the freezer section of your grocery store)
1 egg, beaten
1 Tb sugar
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 Tb powdered sugar
2 C cool whip
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 C blueberries
powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grab a box of Puff Pastry. You can find this in the frozen food section of your local grocery store.
There are two packages per box. You only need one sheet. Carefully wrap the remaining sheet securely in the paper and put it back in the box. Store it in the freezer.
3. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and carefully open the sheet of puff pastry and lay it out flat. Allow it to defrost, should take about 10 minutes.
4. Take a sharp knife and score the sheet, about an inch away from the edge making sure not to cut all the way through the dough.
5. Grab an egg and whisk it well.
Brush it along the scored edges of the puff pastry.
6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar along the edges, over the top of the egg.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the pastry has…puffed. 🙂
8. With a sharp knife, re-score the edges of the pastry, making sure not to cut all the way to the bottom.
Gently press the inside of the pastry down. Allow it to cool.
9. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl place 1 package softened cream cheese. Beat it well and add 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 cups cool whip and a dash of salt. Mix it until smooth and creamy.
10. Carefully spoon the creamy mixture into the puff pastry.
11. Carefully sprinkle 2 cups fresh blueberries over the top of the cream filling.
Sprinkle a nice dusting of powdered sugar over the top.
Slice it into squares…serve and enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge.