I made a batch of these fun lemon bon bons (to share with you) last week because it’s is summer and light little lemon treats were what I was craving. I love lemon, and so do my kids and apparently so does the herd of teenagers my daughter had invited to “hang out” in my basement at the time of the bon bon making. Her friends were impressed and wondered if I love my job because I get to stay home and make bon bons all day. 🙂
Clever joke, wasn’t it. It’s summertime, people. There are teenagers everywhere I look. Up high, down low and around every corner. Which is super great because I love them. Please note that I am praying for patience each and every morning…because I love them and that’s what a mother of three teenagers prays for in the mornings in the heat of the summer. Increased patience so she can enjoy them fully. Consuming several lemon bon bons also helps increase patience, just thought I would throw that out there. FYI. Wink face.
These Lemon Bon Bons are not only EASY to make, but pack a sweetened lemon punch that will make you weak in the knees. They may make your eyes roll back in your head! You may need to hide several in the back of your fridge in case you need a quick patience adrenaline boost. FYI.
Let me show you how to make it happen…
1. Grab one (25 ounce) package of Lemon Creme Sandwich Cookies. I found these at Wal-Mart.
2. Toss them into your stand mixer. With the paddle attachment inserted, turn the mixer to low so the cookies will break up into pieces.
3. Add 1 1/2 packages (12 ounces total) of softened cream cheese to the cookies.
Mix on medium speed until the cookies have broken up almost completely and have combined with the cream cheese. Should take 2-3 minutes.
4. Add 1 Tb lemon juice (bottled is fine) and a dash of salt. Mix to combine.
5. Place the mixture into a freezer safe container. Freeze for at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
6. Scoop the filling into small 1 1/2 inch balls.
Roll them around in your hands to smooth the outside and place on parchment paper.
7. Grab 2 (12 ounce) packages of yellow candy melts. I found these in the cake decorating aisle of my local Super Walmart.
Pour them into a large glass measuring cup. Melt the candy in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each one.
8. Submerge each of the cold lemon balls into the melted coating. Lift them out with a fork and allow any excess to drizzle back into the cup.
9. Set them on the parchment paper to set up. If you are opting for sprinkles, make sure to add them at this point. The yellow candy will set up pretty quick and the sprinkles won’t stick if you wait too long.
10. If you want to drizzle white chocolate on the top, melt 1/3 C white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals. (Should only take 2). Add 1/2 tsp shortening and allow it to melt in the chocolate. Stir it well and drizzle over the top of the bon bons.
11. Allow them to set up (should only take about 15 minutes).
12. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!