The winners of the Skillet Giveaway are Colleen (comment #105) and Diana G (comment #8). Congratulations and thanks so much for entering! I will contact you shortly to gather your mailing information.
Good glory, do I have a fabulous recipe lined up for you all today. These Skinny Texas Cheese Fries are loaded with smoky flavor and baked in the oven (instead of deep fried) to save a bit in the calorie department (a blessing, yes?). They are crispy and golden on the outside, with just a small sprinkle of cheese, cilantro and green onions. The result is super yummy, gang. I made a batch yesterday for my little boys and a friend they had over on a play date. They gobbled them up so fast I couldn’t believe it.
You could serve them for dinner alongside a nice hearty sandwich, like these BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches from my archives. They would make a fabulous addition to your game day line up, halloween party, girls night book club meeting or just for a late night snack. 🙂 Lots of possibilities with this one, gang. Hope some of you get a chance to try them!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grab 4-5 medium-sized Yukon gold, or russet potatoes. I used Yukon gold, so I left the skins on. Wash the potatoes thoroughly.
3. Slice each potato into 1/2 inch strips.
Lay the potato strips face down, in two piles.
Slice each pile of potatoes into 1/2 inch strips.
4. Toss them into a bowl…
and drizzle 2 Tb olive oil over the top.
5. In a small bowl combine 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp garlic salt.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the top of the potatoes and toss them with some tongs, making sure all of the potato slices get covered with seasoning.
6. Generously spray two large cookie sheets with cooking spray and lay the potatoes out evenly. You want to be sure that none of them over lap. This will ensure they each get nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
7. Toss them into the oven for 25 minutes.
Test them with a fork to be sure they are soft in the center. Remove the from the oven and sprinkle salt over the tops.
8. Using a spatula, scoop all of the fries into a deep 9×9 casserole dish, or deep dish pie plate. Sprinkle with 1/2 C cheddar cheese and 1 Tb cooked bacon. Pop the pan into the oven and allow the cheese to melt. Should only take 2-3 minutes.
10. Sprinkle 1 Tb chopped cilantro and 1 Tb chopped green onions on top.
Serve immediately and enjoy. 🙂 These three boys couldn’t get enough, though they wanted me to be sure and tell you they didn’t like “the green stuff”, which wasn’t a problem in my book. All the more for me.
Here’s the handy printable!
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste