Boy do I ever have a spectacular, heavenly, delightfully wonderful recipe for you all today. These Brown Butter Sugar Cookies Bars have a deep, rich, almost caramel like flavor. They have an amazingly soft, chewy texture and are covered in an equally fabulous brown butter frosting. Mmmmmmmm. Yuh-hu-hummmmmmmmm. Seriously, they are such a wonderful treat. Everyone in my family over the age of 9 absolutely loved them. I will warn you that I think they may be designed for older taste buds. My little twin boys were not impressed, which was not that big of a problem actually. More heavenly goodness for the rest of us!
Hope some of you get a chance to try them!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Into a medium sized skillet place 13 Tb butter. Over medium high heat allow it to melt and cook while you whisk it around.
It will start to turn brown, get a bit frothy and have a nutty fragrance. Should only take about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl place the browned butter, 1 C dark brown sugar, 1/2 C sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix just until combined. Add 2 eggs and beat until incorporated.
4. In a small bowl combine 2 C + 2 Tb flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Add the dry ingredients to your mixer and mix just until combined. Be sure not to over mix.
5. Carefully press the batter into a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the frosting, place 1/2 C butter and 1 C brown sugar in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Add 1/4 C milk and return to a boil.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 3 1/2 C powdered sugar and a dash of salt. Stir it well until the mixture is nice and smooth. Spread immediately over the bars. Cut into bars, serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic