Let’s stop the Christmas Clock for just a minute and circle back around to a simple, satisfying crock pot meal of wonder…shall we? I know i could use a sugar break, at least for a little while. 🙂
There is just something wonderful about a hearty meal simmering away in the crock pot. It gives this mama some peace of mind, truly…and means that dinner time is bound to be simple and smoothly executed. Something we all can appreciate, I have no doubt. I’ve wanted to create a great Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce recipe for some time now and finally buckled down to do it. This sauce is hearty; featuring sausage, onions and peppers. The flavor has layers of goodness with basil, oregano and (my favorite) fennel. Have you ever tried fennel? I sure recommend it for this sauce. If you don’t have any on hand, you can leave it out and the sauce will still be great. Leave it in and the sauce is exceptional.
Put this Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce on your list to make soon, my friends. You will have smiles all around. Can’t wait to make it again myself!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Into a deep wide skillet place 1 pound Italian sausage, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped pepper and 1 Tb minced garlic. Brown over medium high heat until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain grease from the pan.
2. Into a 4-5 quart crock pot place 3 (14.5 ounce) cans of Italian stewed tomatoes, 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce and 3 Tb tomato paste.
3. Grab an immersion blender and blend until smooth. (No immersion blender? Just use a regular blender and then pour the sauce into your crock pot).
4. To the crock pot add 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp oregano, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 Tb brown sugar, 1 Tb beef bullion granules, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. *Tip* When adding dry herbs to a recipe, try rubbing them between your fingers a bit as you put them in. This will release a ton of flavor.
5. Add 1 tsp fennel. This is an optional ingredient, however the flavor is fabulous. Highly recommended. 🙂
6. Give everything a nice stir to combine.
7. Add the sausage/veggie mixture and stir.
8. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
9. Serve over your favorite pasta!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!