Merry Cherry Bars
These fun Merry Cherry Bars make a great addition to your holiday baking lineup! They are loaded with candy cherries and Christmas m and ms. The bars are slightly chewy with a delicious almond butter flavor that is out of this world. Plus, they look pretty and festive. A good thing this time of year, yes?
Hope some of you get a chance to try them! For a complete list of 55 Christmas Treat Recipes click HERE.
1 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
1 tsp almond extract
2 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 C candied cherries (found on the baking aisle)
1 C red and green m and ms
1 C powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
5-6 Tb warm water
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the butter and sugar into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Cream together for 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add the almond extract and mix just until combined.
5. In a separate bowl toss together the flour and salt. Add it to the creamed mixture and mix just until combined.
6. Chop the candied cherries into small pieces. Add them and the m and m candies to the mixing bowl and mix just until combined. Your mixer will chop up the chocolate just a bit for you (which is a good thing!) but be sure not to let the mixer run too long. You still want the m and ms to be fairly whole.
7. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and press the dough out evenly into it.
8. Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Allow the bars to cool completely (should take about an hour).
10. Make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, almond extract and about 3 Tb warm water together. Add more water as needed. Drizzle over the cooled bars. Allow the glaze to set up and then cut into bars.
Recipe from www.jamiecooksitup.net
Recipe adapted from Grandparents Plus