Quick and Easy Breadsticks

Quick and Easy Breadsticks

This is one of my very best recipes. These breadsticks can be made from scratch in about 40 minutes, from start to finish. They are light and delicious with any kind of Italian dish, or with soup. This recipe makes one cookie sheet, or about 36 small 2×5 inch breadsticks. It works great in a Kitchen Aid. If you are going to use a Bosch you’ll need to double the recipe.
Let me show you how to make it happen…

1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast together in a measuring cup or in the bottom of your mixer. Let it sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add the salt and the flour, one cup at a time, until it is well incorporated. Mix on high for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.

3. Melt the butter and pour half of it into a jelly roll pan (large cookie sheet).

4. Place the dough in the center of the pan. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Letting the dough rest makes it MUCH easier to shape.

5. Spread the dough out flat onto the pan until it reaches all of the edges. Doing all of the spreading and cutting of these bread sticks, in the pan makes cleaning up your counter so much easier!

6. Pour the other half of the butter onto the dough. Spread it around with your hands. Sprinkle the Johnny’s Garlic Seasoning all over the dough, and then the Parmesan cheese.

7. With a pizza cutter cut the dough into three rows lengthwise, and then into about 12 little height wise rows.

8. Put the pan into a 170 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes. The breadsticks should rise about 1 inch.
9. Turn you oven up to 350 and bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

10. When they come out of the oven let them sit and rest again for about 5 minutes. Then redefine your cutting lines with the pizza cutter.

11. I use a pair of cooking scissors to cut the edges where the pizza cutter can’t reach.
These Quick and Easy Breadsticks go wonderfully with
Fabulous Red Pizza Sauce. You can put it together in a jiffy.

That’s it! They are wonderful. I have played around with a variety of things that can be put on the top. I will post those recipes in the days to come!  Johnny’s Garlic Spread seasoning is one in a million. I buy it at Costco, and keep several in my long term food storage. It’s really great to have on hand. ENJOY!

Quick and Easy Breadsticks

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 36 small breatsticks

Ingredients

1 1/2 C warm water
2 T sugar
1 T yeast
1/2 t salt
3 1/2- 4 C flour
1/4 C butter (not that nasty margarine crap)
3/4 C grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
Johnny's Garlic Seasoning

Instructions

6. Pour the other half of the butter onto the dough. Spread it around with your hands. Sprinkle the Johnny's Garlic Seasoning all over the dough, and then the Parmesan cheese.
11. I use a pair of cooking scissors to cut the edges where the pizza cutter can't reach.
That's it! They are wonderful. I have played around with a variety of things that can be put on the top. I will post those recipes in the days to come! Johnny's Garlic Spread seasoning is one in a million. I buy it at Costco, and keep several in my long term food storage. It's really great to have on hand. ENJOY!

Recipe originally from my cousin Pam Corry
Quick and Easy Breadstick from Jamie Cooks It Up!

October 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm

These are wonderful. Everything you make is.

January 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I'll have to try these breadsticks! I made some the other day, but they weren't as soft as I would have liked them to be…these look like they would melt in your mouth!!

February 8, 2010 at 4:34 am

I love your site, your recipes, your pictures. Your children are adorable. I, too, love butter not margarine. I have some health issues, but LOVE cookies, etc., so I am one person who is grateful to use pureed beans in recipes so I can indulge my sweet tooth. You are so lucky to be able to put real butter in your recipes.

February 11, 2010 at 12:03 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I made these the other night to go with soup…they were so good! Mr. said it smelled like a pizza place in our house when they were baking. =) Have a peek…

March 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I just discovered your website last week when looking for a recipe for breadsticks. (They were delicious by the way!) I have recently started baking all my own bread, muffins, snacks, etc. I noticed how many of your recipes call for large amounts of flour to make many loaves of bread. I feel like baking would be easier if it took me less time to measure out all the flour! What do you use to store your flour? I use a glass canister for sugar, but couldn't find one large enough for flour, so I'm just scooping out of the bag it comes in and making a huge mess of my kitchen in the process! Your advice? Thanks!!

March 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for your question!
    I do find myself in a mess of flour quite regularly!
    I keep my flour in a large canister inside a really deep drawer. I keep all of my basic baking supplies in the same drawer. I do have to refill the flour container pretty regularly, as it only holds about 15 cups. It seems I am always refilling it, however it does make less mess than scooping the flour out of the large sack. Hope this helps! I'm glad you liked the breadsticks. They get made a lot around here, I can tell you that.
    Have a great day!

May 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Love these! Great for Italian night!

May 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm

You had me at bread sticks in 40 minutes. What a wonderful treat.

May 25, 2010 at 3:26 am

these look amazing….I bet they're super tasty, too. 🙂

May 25, 2010 at 4:25 am

40 minutes? How can I not give these a try?

May 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Can these be frozen/reheated? Otherwise we'd probably eat the whole batch in one sitting. They look wonderful!

Nice site by the way. I'll have to add you to my Google Reader. 🙂

May 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Jen,
    They are not as good the second day, however I still reheat them a bit in the microwave and give them to my kids for lunch. Haven't heard any complaints. However, they are to die for hot out of the oven. We usually send some around to neighbors. Good luck! Let me know how they turn out!

May 26, 2010 at 3:35 am

Do you use any specific type of yeast? I find that I have trouble with rising dough, it never seems to! Also, do you have any advice for making these without a kitchen aid?

These look delicious, better than delivery (:

May 26, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Anonymous,
    You could use Active Dry Yeast or Instant Yeast. You'll want to be sure that the temperature of your water really is warm. Also, putting the pan of breadsticks in a warm oven to rise helps a lot as well.
    If you are going to make these by hand, you'll need to knead them on your counter for at least 5 minutes, then lest the dough rest for about 15 minutes, knead again for just a minute or so and then you should be ready to get them in the pan. Good Luck!

May 26, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Only 40 minutes?? Love it!

May 26, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I made these a couple days ago & they were a HUGE hit!! I can't believe how easy they were. I love your blog! I also made you chicken noodle soup, so yummy. I would like to post them on my blog and link back to you! Thanks so much for sharing all your great recipes!

May 27, 2010 at 2:43 am

Amy,
    I'm glad they turned out for you!
    Let me know when you post them and I'll come and have a look!

May 28, 2010 at 4:33 am

I am new to your blog and made these today and they turned out wonderful! Thank you so much! Keep those recipes coming!

May 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm

When you say jelly roll pan do mean just a cookie sheet and not actually a true 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 inch jelly roll pan? I made the sugar cookie bars in a ture jelly roll pan and had to cook them an extra 10 minutes becase they were so thick. I want to try these but just was wondering what the pan size was. Thanks for your help!!

May 31, 2010 at 3:08 am

Stephanie, I do use a large cookie sheet. Sorry for the confusion. Hope they turn out better next time! Have a great day!

June 1, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I have frozen these before and reheated them. The best way to do it is to let them thaw out either on counter top or fridge. Then to reheat them, wrap only what you will eat in a dish towel (flour sack towels work best)and microwave. Make sure you don't over cook them, they warm fast. Sometimes it helps to lightly moisten the towl. Then they are still tender and yummy. Just keep them wraped in the town until you eat them.

June 20, 2010 at 2:17 am

These were so easy to make. I think next time I will try them with mozzarella. Delicious!

June 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I made these tonight to go along with your chicken noodle soup…A-MAZ-ING!! Being pregnant and having absolutley NO energy both were super easy to make and tasted delicious, even my 2 year old ate every bite. Thanks for all you do =)

Teresa
    July 23, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I am hoping I am doing these right. I dont have a kitchen Aid so I am following what you said to another poster, but I dont know if you supposed to put them in the oven at 170 first or just bake them. Can you let me know please?

July 24, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Teresa,
    After the dough has been spread in the pan, sprinkled with toppings and cut, you place it in the oven at 170 degrees to let it rise faster than in would on your counter. The warm heat helps this. Then when they have risen up a bit (about 2 inches in height) turn your oven up to 350 degrees and bake. Leave the pan in the oven while it increases in temperature.
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck!

August 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I store my flour in old ice cream buckets. A bag of flour usually fits nicely. Super easy to pull out and measure!!

Crista
    September 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Jamie you're blog is the best! These breadsticks are SO good. My mom (Pam Corry) also makes a sweet version of these by sprinkling cinnamon, sugar, and nuts on them instead of the savory seasonings. After they come out of the oven she drizzles them with a glaze/icing. They are great for breakfast!

September 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Jamie i love your blog and am so glad to see in the comments that im not the only one that doesnt have a stand mixer. Thank you so much for putting in how long to kneed for if its by hand. One day i will own one but tell then i will be getting the best arm workout ever. Would you be willing to add in the comments how long to kneed if we dont have a stand mixer on some of your other amazing bread recipies?

September 29, 2010 at 12:38 am

I was wondering where you find the garlic seasoning?

October 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

They are delicious! Your recipes are amazing. We own a Wall Mirrors ecommerce site and are always looking for great content to share and help inspire. Thanks.

February 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Maybe he would like sweet onions? I alyaws buffer the taste of onions, which I love, with something like ketchup or mayonnaise (not vegan, I know.) Or I saute them.Sorry if I don’t show up as Karen Anne, I am having some trouble grokking the post message procedure, and the software wipes out my name. I think I have it now…

GS
    December 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Never makes bread before, would like to try your breadsticks. You're asking 31/2-4 Cups of flour.
    Do I measure 31/2 or 4 cups of flour & do I use unbleached all purpose flour & bread flour? .

December 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm

GS,
    Good luck with your breadsticks! This is a great recipe for a beginner.
    Start with 3 1/2 C flour, then add a bit more until the dough is the right texture. You'll know it is right when the dough scrapes the side of the bowl clean, or if you press your finger into the dough and it spring back a bit. I always use all purpose flour, but bread flour would work as well.
    Good Luck! Hope you love them!

March 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Question…since I am clueless about bread in my Kitchen Aid…do you use the bread hook or the paddle or the whisk for mixing for the 5 minutes? As I said, I am clueless, but these look amazing. Love your site!

March 5, 2011 at 6:11 am

Anonymous,
    You need to use the bread dough hook. Good luck! I hope you love them!

March 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

Jamie- I just wanted you to know I love your bread! I make it a ton know and have posted a link from my blog. I have had many a comment about your site and recipe. I just wanted you to know people love it.
    Here is a track back link if you are interested. Thanks
    Melissa

March 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Made these last night…YUM! They smelled heavenly and tasted oh so good! I think I ate about 6 of them myself. The best part though is that they're so easy!
    I couldn't find Johnny's Garlic Bread Seasoning around here so I used the garlic bread seasoning recipe from Our Best Bites.

April 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This really incredible! Love the complete demo of the it. It's really a great bite.

April 23, 2011 at 3:47 am

Hi I've been looking for the garlic seasoning in my local stores, and can't seem to find it. do you know where I can find it?

Lizzy

April 27, 2011 at 3:35 am

Lizzy,
    I have always purchased mine at Costco. Hope you have luck finding it there!

April 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Jamie I'll give Costco a try 🙂

Lizzy

May 17, 2011 at 3:14 am

just made these tonight. I think my water may have been a bit TOO warm, since they didn't rise up as fluffy as yours. I usually grind my own wheat so we did 100% white this time. HUGE hit with the fam! Thanks for your recipe 🙂

June 19, 2011 at 7:28 am

It's so easy to prepare. I love everything about it. The cheese and everything plus the dips.

July 29, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Love LOVE LOVE the breadsticks. They are the best I have ever made and my husband said it was a keeper!!!! Thanks for your recipes. I love your blog. I have tried 2 recipes so far and going to try more. My friend told me about your site and she brought me by some food she made from your site. THANK YOU THANK YOU for making my life easier and tastier.

August 6, 2011 at 1:25 am

Thank you for this recipe. I was in a bread bind and needed a quick bread or breadstick to go with dinner for a neighbor. These were perfect!!! Yum!

October 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm

“not the nasty margarine crap” hee hee hee

November 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hi, I am not familiar with the Johnny's Garlic Seasoning, are there any substitutions?

Just found your blog today, and am so excited!!! So far everything I have seen I want to try.

Thanks so much for posting all of these!

November 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hi Libby,
    The only place I can find Johnny's Garlic Seasoning is at Costco, however I've heard some Costco's don't carry it depending on what state you live in. If you google it, however you can buy it online. Good luck! Wish I knew of a perfect substitute.

November 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Thank you Jamie, we don't have a Costco so I will go on line and order. May try to use just garlic salt until I can get it.

Thanks so much for answering me!

November 20, 2011 at 6:00 am

i love these breadsticks and its a perfect size cause ijust made 200 plus for my husbands unit for a lasanga potluck tomorrow 😀