M and M Sugar Cookies

M and M Sugar Cookies

Happy Father’s Day everyone! I hope you all get to spend some time with YourHandsomeHusbands and your Fathers on this great day.
Come on back next week to see some of the tasty things I will be making today for MyHandsomeHusband.
You know I couldn’t post 7 days in a row
without at least one of the posts being cookies.
Cookies are my true love!
Right after
MyHandsomeHusband and
the 5 very sweet hooligans that run around here calling me mom.
(and my dear friends and family…and you lovely readers, of course.)
I seriously just get a big old grin on my face
when I know it’s a cookie making day. I know…
I know…
super lame,
get a clue,
get a life,
get to the gym.
I just can’t help myself.
A fresh cookie warm out of the oven
is one of life’s simple
(and down right fabulous) pleasures.
super lame?
get a clue?
get a life?
No way….
Get to the gym?
Yes, Please!
 Somebody point me in the right direction.
These M and M Sugar Cookies are sure to melt in your mouth.
And in your hand if you hold on to them long enough.
I’d wager you won’t have them in your hands for long!
Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!
See you back here soon….
M and M Sugar Cookies
Yield: 48 cookies
Time: 1 hour
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 t cream of tartar
dash of salt
1 medium bag (12 oz) M and M’s
1. In a stand mixer, or with hand held beaters cream the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
2. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for 2 more minutes.
3. In a separate small mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Pour in your M and M’s and mix just until combined. Don’t mix too long here guys and gals…you will crush your M and M’s into smithereens.
5. Form into round balls (about 2 inches in size) and lay onto a cookies sheet. I like to smash the dough down just a little bit with the palm of my hand.
6. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes (about 6 minutes at 325 in a convection oven) or until you see the cookies start to crack. Take them out of the oven and let them finish cooking on the hot sheet for about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from the cookie sheet onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Don’t forget to eat one fresh from the oven….
….like he did!
….and what do you know,
 another cookie lovin’ kid.
Must get that from his Mom.

June 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Oh, those look divine! I am also a cookie baking fiend! I bake when I am happy,angry,sad,stressed,just about anytime, in fact. I think you and I could be great friends!

June 20, 2010 at 9:17 pm

YUM! I've never thought of putting M&Ms in sugar cookies – great idea. I will try these soon!

June 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I just found your blog and this post tells me that we could be best friends! I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog. I host Home and Family Friday, every Friday. Come on over and link up. I love your blog!

Becca
    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

June 21, 2010 at 3:03 am

I love the color of these cookies!! They look amazing. This is the second recipe I've seen with M&Ms in them today. I must get some M&Ms!!

June 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm

These are really pretty. I love the colors! And they look quite tasty too!

June 22, 2010 at 4:36 am

So yummy looking! Who cares about Kid friendly these look tummy friendly to me. lol

I gave you an award you can check it out here

I understand if you are an award free blog. Just know I thought about you! XO

June 30, 2010 at 12:02 am

My daughter can't wait to make these :)

July 3, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Seriously, I thought I left a comment on this posting thanking you for sharing such a great recipe, but I don't see it, so will try again!

I gave my sister a link to this page, too – I made these cookies when you first posted it, now I gotta make it again~ (they disappear verrrrrrrrrrry fast!)

Thank you again, have a wonderful 4th Celebration~

Jackie
    July 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I'm new to your blog and I just have to say I LOVE it!! All of your recipes look and sound so yummy! I can't wait to try these cookies and your chicken enchiladas! I'm grateful that myfoodstoragedeals.com featured you. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Jackie
    July 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I've now made these cookies 3 times, needless to say they were the biggest hit! My kids loved them, so did the neighbor kids. :) My new favorite special treat, thank you so much for sharing.
    J.

July 26, 2010 at 2:54 am

These cookies were great! My sis-in-law was over while I was baking these, so she tried a few. She ended up taking the recipe AND the rest of my bulk bag of M & M's with her, so she could make them at home! Thanks for sharing!!

December 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Do you know if this dough would freeze well?

tbmroberts at yahoo dot com

December 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Hi Beth,
    I havne't ever frozen this paticular dough. My thoughts are that the dough would be fine frozen. My only concern is the m and m's. I'm worried that they bleed a bit in the dough when coming to room termperature. Just a thought…it could be that it would turn out just fine. I do know that the dough without the m and m's would freeze really well. Let me know if you try it!
    Good Luck!

December 31, 2011 at 4:38 pm

making to take to my NYE party I am attending tonight. hope they are a hit. thanks. love the website

Heather Smith
    January 23, 2012 at 1:08 am

Are these soft or crunchy…..what I should ask is …are they supposed to be crunchy? I made them and they were VERY crispy–did I overbake or is this normal?

January 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

Hi Heather,
    They should be slightly crisp on the outside, but nice and soft on the inside. Sounds like you may have over baked yours. Next time take them out of the oven just after they have started to crack along the tops, then let them finish cooking on the hot cookie sheet. Good luck!

April 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I freeze my chocolate chip/mini M&M cookies all the time and I have never had any trouble with the M&M's. (I've frozen A LOT of them, believe me!)

Stacy
    October 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

Hi Jamie,
    Can you you substitute the butter for margarine, or is the butter critical in this recipe? I love all of your recipes, I am a frequent flier here! :)

October 26, 2014 at 10:53 am

Hi Stacey,
      Thanks for your kind words about my site. So glad you are enjoying it. I would recommend using butter and never margarine. Too bad butter has gotten so expensive lately! However, it really make all the difference in cooking and baking. Best of luck to you!