Oreo Turtle Bars

Oreo Turtle Bars

HO.
LEE.
Cow.
These babies are good.
In a rich, chocolaty, gooey, slightly salted, crunchy, sweet,
toasted marshmallow, heavenly bliss kind of way.
That. Is a lot of ways to be good, isn’t it.
Don’t you wish someone would say that many nice things about you, and how you are so good, baby?
 There sure are a lot of you out there who make my day on a regular basis by commenting on this little ol’ blog.
I love reading your comments.
Seriously.
They put a big old smile on my face. I read every last one of them.
Some commenting “standards”….
Patti and Patti (both frequent and lovely)
Kim McCann, and Amy,
to mention just a few.Thank you.
For being so dear and kind and for leaving
your sweetness right here for me to read.

And to you silent regulars…
I so appreciate you stopping by to read my ramblings.
It means a lot.
Love ya all.

Oreo Turtle Bars
Time: 15 minutes prep + 30 minutes baking + cooling time
Yield: One 9×13 pan…cut them as small or large as you choose.
They are very rich, so you may wish to cut on the smaller size.
Recipe from my beautiful sister in law Cynthia Gull
***NOTE: These bars need to be given some time to cool, and set up. They are best made several hours before serving. End of note. Thanks for reading.***

45 oreos (3 sleeves, or one regular package)
1/2 C butter (1 stick) melted
3/4 C milk chocolate chips
3/4 C white chocolate chips
3/4 C semi sweet chocolate chips
3 C mini marshmallows
3/4 C pecan pieces
1 T olive oil
salt
1  14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1. Make your crust! Pour your oreos into a small (or large, if you have one) food processor and grind them up into crumbs. My small food processor can do about 15 at a time, so I did three batches.
2. Melt your butter in a small mixing bowl. Add the oreo crumbs to the butter, stir them all together until well combined.
3. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and then press the cookie crumbs into the pan and vwalla. A crust is born. Easiest birth I have yet to witness.
3. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour in 1 T olive oil. When the oil is hot (should take about 15 seconds) add your pecans and sprinkle them with a bit of salt.
4. Let them toast for about 5 minutes, stirring every so often. Don’t let them burn, just allow them to get a little darker in color.
Now for the chips, just look at those beautiful pieces of chocolate. “Hello beautiful…. how was your night….” (My life is just one country song after another. I’m sure you feel the same.)
4. Sprinkle the milk chocolate chips evenly over the crust.
Then the white….
followed by the semi sweet. What a lovely trio.
5. Sprinkle on the marshmallows
followed by the toasted and every so slightly salted pecans.
Hello, beautiful and magical binding liquid of the universe. Just a word of caution to you readers. Don’t you dare take a little taste of this baby plain. Seriously. If you do, every time you look at it sitting on the shelf you will have thoughts like….”What could I make with that good lookin can of SCM today. I’ve just got to have a little lick, or a spoon full. Maybe I’ll just eat it for lunch.” I cannot be responsible for this kind of behavior. I wash my hands of it. Taste it plain, at your own risk.

6. Carefully drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top of your confection. Let it get down into all of the cracks.
Like this…
7. Bake this beauty at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until you can see that it is bubbling slightly.
8. Cool to room temperature. Cut them carefully with a sharp knife and serve.

ENJOY!!!!!

As a side note, if you are an animal lover you may want to check out  this link. BlogHer and Purina are learning all about ProPlan Selects.

May 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Those look simply amazing Jamie! Wowzers…they are going to be like a song stuck in my head until I put them in my mouth for sure!

May 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I think that I gained 5 pounds just reading the recipe! They look absolutely delicious. I found your site from a sister-in-law and have loved reading your recipes and enjoying your happy, positive attitude. Can't wait to return to the US where I can get the ingredients to make these yummy treats!

May 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

these look amazing! i might have to make these for my husband's birthday coming up! Thanks!

February 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Thnkas for taking the time to post. It’s lifted the level of debate

May 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Bwahahahaha Jamie! You made my morning! Don't think for a second that I haven't been reading faithfully now. My computer has been super slow and commenting can be a lot of work with a slow computer. :) I LOVED seeing my name in your little shout-out, so thank you. My comments are probably the most random of the bunch so it's nice to know you truly enjoy them. I do believe I have all of these ingredients in my little old pantry so I think in honor of your shout-out (and making me feel all important and appreciated-like) I will be making some today. My Weight Watchers point allowance will NOT be thanking you or giving you a shout-out afterwards, but I sure will. :) You're the best Jamie! I hope you know that I use your recipes every day. You saved me from a recipe rut. In fact, I was going to tell you that last nite I made your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but I substituted the chocolate chips for cinnamon chips. Oh. My. Heck. Best cookies ever! (Next to your Grandma's cookies anyways.) I will bring you one so you can witness this little bit of heaven! (Can I get a witness!? Amen Sista…I'm sure that's the conversation we'll have afterwards!) Now, to just find out where you live (and I don't mean that in a creepy stalker way, I promise).

May 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oh my. Those look so good. Too bad I'm trying not to eat that type of thing right now. I am however printing the recipe. ;)

May 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I laughed out loud at your sweetened condensed milk comments. I just found a Paula Deen ice cream recipe that uses it and I always look forward to a small taste of this amazing stuff!

February 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’m Claire Beeler from Phoenix, AZ. Love your blog, love you girls! These bags are super cute and would be a welcome chgane from my bright purple diaper bag! =)

May 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I feel so special when I realized that the Amy you mentioned was ME! Cool!

Anyway, I just have to say your recipes are WAY too tempting. I looked at this one and told myself to not even read it. I am still trying to work off 2-5 pounds so my clothes fit more comfortably and I'll have no hope if I keep reading. Looks DELICIOUS!

May 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

These look Great! I couldn't help thinking that if you did a graham cracker crust they would make great smores bars. I wonder…..

Emmanuelle
    May 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Comments? Really? Just: Wow!! Your recipies are astounding! I just looove them, even though I've only tried but a few! My problem is that I'm not a big (=regular) cook, so don't take the time to do these recipies… and living in France (and not in Paris), it is rather difficult to find some of the ingredients… till last week when Philadelphia Cream cheese finally arrived in the aisles (hurray!!) – I didn't even know/remember cinnamon chips existed! Oh well… Anyway, it is always pure delight to read your recipes (I will do more of them, for sure), and -as I've already mentioned (yeah: I'm the one who once asked for the butter sticks…)- to read your witty and endearing comments! Thanks for the sunshine. Keep it coming!

May 23, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I'm blushing! Your blog is a daily must read!!! I do believe you are a “kindred spirit”.
    P.S. Amen to the Holy Cow! This recipe has my mouth watering already. I do believe this weekend will be the perfect opportunity to try it out. You're the best.

May 23, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Two words: HOT. DANG.

May 30, 2011 at 5:35 am

Oh My Goodness! I don't think I have ever seen such beautiful food in my life. Your blog is full of it!!! As you can tell I am new to your blog but I'm a follower now. LOVE IT!

June 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

Hola, hace tiempo que me paseo por su blog y hasta ahora no había dejado comentarios. Me encanta todo lo que hace, para mí es muy original y una autentica tentación. Felicidades. Un beso desde España.

September 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm

These look fantastic, great job!

November 6, 2011 at 7:35 am

Wow these look amazing! I was planning to make them for a tailgate but wanted to make them the day before so I wouldn't be rushing on game day! Would these still be okay if made the day before and just refrigerated overnight? :)

November 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Hi Jadie,
    These bars keep very well for several days. Made the day before and refrigerating is a perfect choice. Hope you love them!

November 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thank you for the quick response! I'm definitely making these this weekend & I know everyone will love them!

February 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm

have “La Dolce Vegan” and “Vegan aa0gogo” and use them constantly.Lovading this blog, hapadpened upon it quite by acciaddent and it made me smile.Kimadmee

December 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Ummm, that part in the recipe where it says to cool to room temperature? Couldn't wait that long. This is SO divine!

January 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I've made these 6 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas!! A coworker at my husbands office got angry when he did not bring them at Christmas after eating half of what he brought at Thankgiving….. They are no doubt the easiest and most yummy browny, EVER!!! Thanks, Tracey Rheams

*not sure how to post with out having to choose anonymous. I only have a yahoo account.*

May 7, 2012 at 1:45 am

Made these for my daughter's birthday treat for her classmates… BEST birthday treat ever! Gooey, sweet, chocolaty goodness in every bite! Think I gained a few pounds just smelling them as they came out of the oven, though!