Ham and Bean Soup

Ham and Bean Soup

And now.
It is over.
Just like that.
Christmas has come and gone,
and has hopefully left you will some warm memories!
I hope you all had a marvelous time and
were able to spend the day with those you love most.
We are lucky to live in close proximity to our extended family and had the chance to visit with almost all of them over the past few days, which is always a lot of fun. Our kids were pleased with the loot Santa brought them…
and I still have some homemade caramels stashed away in my pantry.
So, you could say life is pretty great around here.

I’m looking forward to a relaxing week with my kids and hubby, playing board games, watching movies and trying like heck to figure out how to put these legos together.
Who knew that could be so tricky! Apparently 5 years olds have a hard time following an instruction sheet.
Could be because they haven’t even gone to school yet and don’t know how to read.
Just a hunch.

I do have a few posts planned for you this week,
including this great soup recipe that uses leftover ham.
Just in case you had ham for your holiday feast
and are wondering what in the world to do with it
now that the jolly day is past.
 This wonderful, hearty soup calls for a leftover ham bone and dried beans. It takes about 3 hours of simmering for the beans to cook through and become soft. But don’t let that deter you. It is very simple to put together and makes your house smell wonderful as it simmers away while you do important things like put legos together with five year olds. :)
Ham and Bean Soup
Time: 15 min. hands on + 3 1/2  hours cooking
Recipe from MyHandsomeHusband
***NOTE: This soup freezes very well.
1 ham bone, with about 2 C of ham still on it
4 C dried white beans (great northern)
water
1 onion, chopped
1 C carrots, chopped
1/2 C celery, chopped
1 t garlic (I used the kind from a jar)
4 C water
9 beef bullion cubes
1 T sugar
1/2 t rosemary
2 T butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the ham bone with ham still attached into a large pot.

2. Pour 4 cups of dried white beans into the pot.

3. Fill the pot full of water…

and get that pot to the stove top. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer…

with the lid on, but placed at a slant allowing steam to escape.
4. Let the beans and ham simmer for about 3 hours, or until the beans are tender.

5. Once the beans are cooked through, remove the ham and ham bone from the pot and put it on a plate. Pull the ham away from the bone and fat and shred it with two forks. Put the shredded ham back in the soup pot and toss the bone and fat in the trash.

6. Chop up one onion, 1 cup carrots and 1/2 cup celery.

7. Add the veggies to the pot along with 4 more cups of water, 1 t garlic, 9 bullion cubes, 1 T sugar, 1/2 t rosemary and 2 T butter.
8. Bring the soup to a boil and let the veggies cook until tender. Should only take about 10 minutes.
9. Taste the soup and add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick for your liking add a bit more water.
Enjoy!

December 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Ummm that look so good Jamie. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I love bean soups, so this is going on my to eat list.

December 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I saved the bone looking forward to a bean soup this week…think I'll go let it simmer on the wood stove tonight and I'll only have to add the veggies tomorrow for a quick meal :)

December 28, 2011 at 2:40 am

You need to recruit my 9 year old grandson for the Legos. He can put together a couple hundred dollars worth of Legos in a couple hours. He loves doing it and asks for them every year.

December 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I made this soup last night and it was incredible! So yummy!

Wendy
    December 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Could this be done in the slow-cooker? How much water? High/low temp? And how long?

January 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wendy,
    I noticed my friend Tina at Mommy's Kitchen has a recipe for Ham and Bean Soup in the crock pot. Here is a link to the post.

Good luck to you!

January 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm

this is just the recipe I am looking for today…thanks..

January 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hi Jamie! Found this from Pinterest and it looks so great! I have some leftover ham I'd love to use in this but it was boneless. Do you think it'll make a big difference if there is no bone? Thanks! ~Tia

January 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hi Tia,
      The bone does add to the flavor but it would still be pretty great without it. Good luck! Hope you love it!

Amanda Deinhart
    January 31, 2012 at 6:44 am

Hi Jamie!!! I wanted to thank you for the recipe, it was delicious!!! I cooked as stated, except that I used ham shanks,and it was the best ham and bean soup I have ever had!! Thanks again for a deeeelish recipe, and thanks for the continued awesome recipes!!

February 27, 2012 at 1:17 am

This is amazing!

April 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm

This is my “go to” ham and bean soup recipe. My family loves it! Thanks so much.

Emma
    December 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

Perfect for today! Thanks for sharing again!

Ingrid
    December 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I made this soup last year with our leftover hambone from Christmas and am making it again today. Thanks!!