I double dog dare you to make this pretty little recipe.
Then I triple dog dare you NOT to eat 5 of them yourself. Because not eating 5 of them yourself with take skill.
And mental will power.
Of which I have none. See you at the gym, I will be there for the next 10 hours working off these brownies. Wish me luck. Cross your fingers that my knees hold out.
However, my fine friends if you have a better handle on your chocolate addicted life than I do, and want to make a mouth watering, decadent dessert for those you love (did you know Valentines day is coming up? You did! Well, aren’t you really somethin’) then make these Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies.
Because they are really somethin’.
Just like you.
And that’s no joke.
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies
Time: 15 minutes hands on + 45-55 minutes to bake
Yield: 1 9×13 pan, cut them as small or large as you like
Recipe adapted from my cousin Linda Reber’s brownie recipe
Red Velvet Layer:
1 C butter, melted
2 C sugar
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 t salt
1 t red food coloring gel
1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Layer:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C sugar
1 t vanilla
1. Place 1 cup melted butter, 2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl. Mix it until well combined, about 2 minutes.
2. Crack one egg and add it to the batter. Mix until the egg is incorporated. Repeat with the three remaining eggs, mixing them into the batter one single solitary egg at a time.
3. Add two teaspoons vanilla to the batter and mix it in.
4. Put 1 1/2 C flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a small bowl and fluff it around with a fork to combine the two. Add these dry ingredients to your batter and mix until they are well combined.
5. Add 1 teaspoon red food coloring gel to the batter and mix until the batter in nice and red. This gel can be purchased in the cake decorating section of Walmart or at any craft store. If you only have regular red food coloring, my thoughts are…this recipe would still work, however you may have to add up to 1 Tablespoon of food coloring which may taint the flavor of the brownies a bit.
6. Toss in 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips and mix until combined.
7. Line a 9×13 pan with wax paper, parchment paper or tin foil and spray it with cooking spray. This will help you lift the brownies out of the pan when they have cooled and are ready to cut.
8. Spread the batter out evenly in the pan.
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
1. Place 1 (8 ounce) package softened cream cheese into your stand mixer or medium sized mixing bowl. Beat it until nice and smooth.
2. Add 1/2 C sugar, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Drop the cream cheese mixture onto the beautiful red velvet layer in spoon fulls.
3. Drag a knife through both layers…
creating a marble effect. You may have to pull a bit of the red layer up onto the white layer to get the look you want.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the beautiful brownies cool on a wire rack, then lift them out of the pan, cut and serve.