SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup has become one of my families all time favorite soups. I seem to make it at least once a month. You might be surprised to hear it, but several my kids have confessed to preferring it over the treasured Chicken Noodle that has been a staple around here for ages. This is true. Move over noodles…rice has come to take your place. At least in the world of soup. At least at my house. What ever you choose to love the most at your house is entirely up to you. Go ahead and love Chicken Noodle the most if you would like, who am I to judge you. To each his own.

While I generally make this soup on the stove top, I have been working on a Crock Pot version (something that takes minimal effort!) for a while now and finally have a recipe worthy of sharing and saving and making again and again and again. The broth has a nice, slightly creamy texture and the flavor is savory and satisfying. It’s comfort food, plain and simple. Hope you love it as much as we do. 🙂

IMG_2355_edited-1

Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 10 min prep + 6-8 hours cooking
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

1 C carrots, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
10 C water
8 chicken bullion cubes (or 8 t bullion granules)
salt and pepper
1 t parsley
1 bay leaf
1 t thyme
2 chicken breasts
2 chicken thighs
1 C rice (I use short grain)
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup

IMG_2201_edited-1
1. Chop up 1 cup of carrots, one cup celery and 1 onion.

IMG_2204_edited-1

2. Add them to a 6-7 quart crock pot.
3. Pour 10 cups of water over the veggies.

IMG_2205_edited-1
4. Add 8 chicken bullion cubes or 8 teaspoons bullion granules.

IMG_2208_edited-1
5. Add a bit of salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 bay leaf and 1 teaspoon thyme.

IMG_2210_edited-1
6. Add 2 thawed chicken breasts and 2 thawed chicken thighs.
7. Cover your crock pot and cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 7 hours.

IMG_2333_edited-1
8. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it up with two forks.

IMG_2334_edited-1
9. Add 1 cup of uncooked rice (I used short grain rice). Alternatively, you could add 2 cups fully cooked rice. If you choose to add the precooked rice, go ahead and add it with the shredded chicken let it simmer for about 30 minutes so the rice can take on the flavor of the soup.

IMG_2335_edited-1
If you are using rice that hasn’t been cooked add it with the chicken, put the lid back on and cook on high for 1 hour, or until the rice is tender.

IMG_2336_edited-1

11. Add one can of cream of chicken soup. Give it a nice stir to combine. This will give the soup just a touch of creaminess. Put the lid back on and allow the cream soup to heat up, should only take 10 minutes or so.

Serve and enjoy!

IMG_2358_edited-1

Casey
    March 6, 2013 at 10:53 am

Love your recipes. Thanks

February 7, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Dan if you are worried about that, you can put a piece of paper towel on top of the casrseole to catch any condensation that will occur, but it really should be fine! Happy Crocking!

March 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

Okay, I usually love your recipes, Jami, but you got me on this one. What’s the whole point of making soup if you have to put a can of SOUP in it?

Sara
    March 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm

What type of rice do you use? Like cooking time wise (ie. minute rice or regular)? Also, do you think I could substitute quinoa for the rice? Thanks!

March 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Sara,
      I used short grain rice for the soup you see in the pictures, but have also used quinoa and it turns out great. Good luck!

Amy
    March 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Quick questions:
    1) can you use only chicken breast?
    2) could you cook the rice then add it in the soup for about 20-30 min or is there a reason you let it cook in the soup (flavor?)?

March 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Amy,
      You could use any kind of chicken for this recipe, and precooked rice would work out fine. Look in the post for some updated instructions for precooked rice. Good Luck! Hope you enjoy it!
      ~Jaie

Natalie Tycksen
    March 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Made this today and it was a hit. I have a few sick kids in the house and this was a very yummy and comforting soup. Thanks for the great crockpot recipe. I used chicken tenders and it worked out great. Thanks Jamie!

March 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Natalie,
      Wow! Thanks for trying it so quickly and letting me know it was a success. Hope your kids get better soon.:) So glad you loved the soup!

March 6, 2013 at 6:16 pm

will give it a try, even though I have to agree with Mary Ann and have been trying not to use canned soup much anymore.

Denise Routson
    March 6, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Jamie,

Thanks for the recipe! I have a crush on my crockpot, so this recipe will definitely be making its way into my home.

Couple questions:
    You mentioned using quinoa in this recipe before. Did you precook it? How much did you use?

Is there a perk or reason behind using chicken breast and thighs in this recipe? I usually have tenders on hand. Any modifications I’d need to make?

March 7, 2013 at 6:33 am

Denise,
      I believe I used about 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup rice. I didn’t precook either one. They just simmered for about an hour in the broth of the crock pot. I used a combination of breasts and thighs because I wanted some dark meat and some light, but you could use tenders just as well. Good luck!

Denise
    March 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Jamie,

I am here to report that this soup was A-MAZ-ING!!! My husband loved it, my picky son loved it, and I loved it! It was a classic comfort food that filled our home with an amazing aroma and warmed our tummies perfectly. Thanks for recreating this meal as a crock pot meal, keep the great crock pot meals coming!!!

Thanks for adding your pointers mentioned up above as well!

tristen
    March 13, 2013 at 8:07 pm

My one and only complaint was the carrots and celery were kind of hard still,about medium and I had this cooking for six hours. No sure why they weren’t completely soft. Other than that, it was delicious!! Thanks.

Jen
    March 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm

This soup was so good!! And so easy!! Definitely something I would make again!

Jocy
    April 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Hi Jamie, I was wondering if you have frozen any left overs? Is this recipe good for freezing?

May 2, 2013 at 5:16 am

Jocy,
      I haven’t ever tried to freeze the leftovers. My thoughts are that it would work out, pretty well. Not great, as most cream soups don’t tend to freeze well. However since this soup is mostly a broth based soup with just a bit of creaminess it might do ok. Good luck. Let me know if you try it and how it goes. 🙂

July 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm

hello!,I really like your writing so so much! percentage we communicate extra about your article on AOL? I require a specialist in this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

July 11, 2013 at 10:29 am

I conceive this site contains very wonderful written subject matter posts .

July 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Hey, I just hopped over to your website through StumbleUpon. Not somthing I might typically browse, but I enjoyed your views none the less. Thanks for creating some thing well worth reading.

Sara C
    November 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Mmm I’m new to your website and this is my first recipe of yours. I’m excited and so far it smell great. Thank you. I’m cooking it overnight in the crockpot.

Lacie
    November 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Is there a reason you specify thawed chicken? Would it not work if I put frozen breasts in there?

November 25, 2013 at 6:20 am

Lacie,
      I so, sometimes add frozen chicken breasts to the crock pot…but for this recipe I was concerned that the added liquid coming from the frozen chicken would dilute the taste. Best to use thawed breasts for this recipe. Good luck!

February 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hello there, just required you to know I he added your inetrnet site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, I imagine your world wide web inetrnet site has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make reading through your web site significantly easier.

December 15, 2013 at 1:54 am

My husband fell sick, went off food. Your chicken in a crock pot was fabulous. Had taste, color and texture.
    Yummy-yum-yum!!!
    He ate non-stop.
    Thank you.

sharon
    February 26, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Reading through the ingredients I was getting excited b/c I thought the recipe was going to be gluten free…..until I got the the canned cream of chicken soup. Do you think maybe a few more chicken granuals and a cornstarch/water mixture would give it the texture (thus making the soup gluten free?)

November 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm

This is delicious! I will definitely make it again..maybe change it up with some wild rice.