This Tatertot Casserole is a great feed-your-family-quick-and-cheap kind of meal. It’s a simplified spin on the classic Shepards Pie that so many of us grew up with and love. A hearty, flavorful ground beef mixture is topped with green beans, tasty tatertots and yummy cheddar cheese.
You know about tatertots, don’t you?
Don’t feel embarrassed if you are a Napolian Dynamite fan. I like the kid, myself. Gosh, he’s no freaking idiot. 🙂 The boy has skills, you know. Dancing skills, nerdy skills, super nerdy skills, and dancing skills. There is a lot to love about him, as I previously mentioned. If I could pull of a dance solo like he does I would consider myself one lucky (and skilled) gal.
Now, let me show you how easy this is to put together…
Time: 20 min prep + 15 minutes baking
Yield: 6-7 recipes
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 (2 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 T ketchup
1 (14 ounce) can green beans
4-5 cups frozen tatertots (about 1/2 of a 32 ounce bag)
2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grab a deep skillet. Heat it up over medium high heat. Add 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 of a chopped onion, and 1/2 a chopped green pepper.
3. Grab some Lipton Onion Soup Mix. You want to take one of the little pouches out of the box and sprinkle half of it over the top of the meat and veggies. With a sturdy plastic spatula mix everything around until the soup mix is combined with the meat.
4. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently until the hamburger is browned and the veggies are fork tender.
5. Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup
and 1 tablespoon ketchup. Stir it all together to combine and allow everything to heat through.
6. Spray a deep 9×9 pan (or a 4 quart casserole dish) with cooking spray. Spread the hearty beef mixture into the bottom of the pan.
7. Grab a can of green beans and drain the liquid into your sink. Pour the green beans over the top of the meat.
8. Pull your tatertots out of the freezer and pour 4-5 cups (about 1/2 a 32 ounce package) of them over the green beans.
9. Sprinkle 2 cups cheddar cheese over the top.
10. Pop it into the oven and bake (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are done and the cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!