I love caramel. In every way, shape and form. Caramel Sauce, Caramel Popcorn, Chocolate Dipped Caramels…the stuff makes me weak in the knees, truly. While scrolling through instagram recently I came across a beautiful picture of Toasted Coconut Caramel Popcorn. I had never before heard of these two fabulous flavors showing up in popcorn together. If there is one flavor I love as much as caramel, it’s coconut. I couldn’t wait to make the popcorn and had to force myself to stay cool, calm and collected about the whole matter. “Pace yourself and eat a sturdy carrot stick or something!” is what I told my ridiculous coconut/caramel loving self. Which I was very successful at for an entire 15 carrot sticks and 45 minutes before I broke down and made the dang stuff.
Baby, it’s good.
Good enough that I had to promise myself I would never make it again when there weren’t at least 4 quality people home to share in the bliss.
Give it a try guys! Unless you hate caramel and coconut…and in that case, well. Grab a carrot stick, I suppose.
Toasted Coconut Caramel Popcorn
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
Recipe from Cooking with Ruthie
1 C coconut
6 C popcorn, popped (about 1/3 C unpopped)
1/2 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread 1 C sweetened coconut onto a large baking sheet. Pop it into the oven and allow it to get nice and toasted. Should only take about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Be careful when you open the oven door. Coconut lets off a fume when it gets toasted that smells like heaven, but will burn your eyes if you aren’t careful. Just open the oven door and let the fumes exit the oven before you stick your head down to have a look.
3. Place 1/3 C unpopped popcorn into a popcorn popper.
And let it pop, baby. You will need 6 cups popped popcorn total.
4. Into a medium sized sauce pan place 1/2 C butter, 1 C brown sugar, 1/4 C corn syrup and 1/2 tsp salt.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes, without stirring.
6. Remove the caramel from the oven and add 1/2 tsp baking soda. It will foam up a bit for you, that’s normal.
7. Add 2 tsp coconut extract and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
8. Give it a nice stir and pour over the top of the popped corn.
9. Add the toasted coconut and stir to combine.
10. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or spray it with cooking spray). Spread the popcorn onto the sheet and allow it to cool.
11. Break it into small chunks and enjoy!
To celebrate national caramel day (which is tomorrow!), 9 of my blogging friends each put together a caramel recipe to share with you and I and anyone else who may care to take a look. Be warned…they look absolutely fabulous…mmmmmm, Caramel. It makes the world a happy place, yes?
Lightened Up Coconut Caramel Ice Cream from Happy Food Healthy Life
Salted Caramel Cheesecakes from Ashlee Marie Cakes
Toasted Coconut Caramel Popcorn from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Quick Microwave Caramel Sauce from Real Mom Kitchen
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pastry from Summer Scraps
Frozen Caramel Crunch Torte from Creations from Kara
Carmelitas from Cupcake Diaries
Nutty Salted Caramel Coconut Ice Cream from Tried and Tasty
Salted Caramel Sauce from Like Mother Like Daughter
Homemade Snickers Bars from Butter with a side of Bread
And one more Coconut Caramel recipe from my archives (in a cake form)…
Thanks for dropping by and have a great day!