I recently discovered the delightful taste of a certain (Cafe Rio) Chicken Tortilla Soup that was fully loaded with all kinds of fresh and heavenly ingredients. I couldn’t help but come home and see if I could make the same things happen in my kitchen (and yours). It was the right thing to do. For the love of healthy goodness, it was indeed the right thing to do.
This soup is delicious! The broth is packed with wonderful Mexican flavors, the shredded chicken hearty and filling. Top it off with refreshingly fabulous ingredients like lime, cilantro, avocado and even tomatoes. It’s a keeper. Can’t wait to make it again. 🙂
Let’s me show you how to make it happen…
Classic Chicken Tortilla Soup (Fully Loaded)
Time: 15 min. prep + 40 minutes cooking
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from This Country Girl Cooks
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP:
2 Tb olive oil
5 cloves garlic
4-5 mini bell peppers
12 C water
9 chicken bullion cubes
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
3 chicken breasts
1 (15 ounce) can corn
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
Tomatoes (or salsa)
Mexican blend cheese
1. Grab one onion, 4-5 mini bell peppers and 5 cloves of garlic.
Chop them all nicely.
2. Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is hot add your chopped veggies. Cook until the onions are translucent and the veggies are crisp tender.
3. Add to the pot 12 cups water, 9 bullion cubes, 1 teaspoon ground pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic and 1 teaspoon salt.
4. Add 3 chicken breasts (trimmed of fat)
and bring the pot to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down so that the soup is at a simmer. Allow it to cook away for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
5. Take the chicken out of the pot, place it on a plate and shred it with two forks. Place the chicken back in the pot.
6. Add 1 can of rinsed and drained black beans…
and a can rinsed and drained corn.
7. Let the soup cook for 10 minutes more. Then serve with all kinds of amazing toppings…
These Chili Lime Tortilla Strips are my favorite. Love.
You could also serve it with green onions, mexi-cheese blend, cilantro, lime, avocados, tomatoes, sour cream or even salsa. Yum. The more you load it up…the better it is. At least in my humble opinion.
Load it up, man.
Load it well. 🙂