Time: 90 minutes
Yield: about 48 cookies depending upon the size they are cut
Recipe from MyDearMother
1 C butter
2 C sugar
1 C sour cream
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
4 1/2 C flour
dash nutmeg (just a sprinkle, folks)
1. Mix the butter, eggs, and sugar together for about 2 minutes. Add the sour cream and mix for another minute. Add the vanilla and mix.
2. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. So here is the trick! Spray the top of your counter with cooking spray. Then dust it with a bit of flour. Take 1/3 of the cold dough and pat it all over with flour. Not too heavily, the trick is to get just enough flour so the dough won’t stick to the counter, but you don’t want the dough to become too dried out, so take it easy on the flour.
5. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out. It should be at least 1/4 thick. Sometimes I do mine just a bit thicker than that.
8. Once you have cut all the shapes you can fit on the spread out dough, take a spatula and scrape the dough off your counter. You don’t want any leftover dough stuck down, this will make it super hard to roll the next batch out. Make sure the counter is dough free before you start rolling again.