Stuffing Chicken

Stuffing Chicken

This is a recipe I make at least once a month. The kids really enjoy it….and my husband adores it. So, it gets put on the menu a lot. It’s great to make this time of year, as Stove Top Stuffing is usually on sale. I like to purchase a whole slew of boxes and keep them in my food storage. This can be made in the crock pot, or in the oven which ever you prefer! It serves my family of 7 just fine.

Stuffing Chicken

4 chicken breasts, pounded out flat
8 slices Swiss cheese (or about 3/4 C shredded cheese)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 c milk
1 Stove Top Stuffing box (usually chicken flavored)
1/4 C butter melted (I always make it with out the butter…trying to shave a bit of fat off the menu)

1. Spray the inside of your crock pot (or casserole dish, if baking in the oven)
2. Lay the chicken out flat in the bottom of the dish.
3. Cover with the cheese.
4. Mix the soup and the milk together and pour over the top of the cheese.
5. Dump the box of stuffing over the top, and drizzle butter over it. (I usually spray it with some cooking spray instead)
6. For the Crock Pot cook on high for 4 hours. The last 1/2 an hour turn the lid sideways, so that some of the stream can escape. You don’t want your stuffing to be too soggy.
7. For the Oven, cover and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Take the foil off and bake 7-10 minutes more.

November 9, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Looks REALLY awesome!! I will have to try that too!! I heard you made a killer quiche for the baby shower…when will that be posted?! :)

November 9, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Meg. You are sweet. I'll post the quiche sometime this week.

November 18, 2010 at 6:16 am

We had this for dinner tonight and absolutely loved it!! With my busy schedule, I love dinners with less than 10 ingredients and less than 10 minutes prep time. THIS WAS PERFECT!!!! I posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/11/chicken-stuffing-casserole.html

Thanks!
    Missy

August 2, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Jamie,
    This is probably a silly question, but do I just dump the stuffing and seasonings on top of the liquid dry? If so, does the stuffing cook okay with only the spray on top?

November 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm

made this last night for our mom and tots dinner…it was delish!! next time using 2 boxes of stuffing since there was just not enough of that goodness to go around

April 10, 2012 at 3:40 am

Jamie, sure glad I read all the comments…would probably need 2 boxes of stuff too! thanks for all your work to bring these to us. My Mom was betty crocker in the kitchen…but she went to heaven with all her favorites. :( You are going to be my NEW BEST FRIEND! XOXXOX

April 26, 2012 at 10:23 pm

i was wondering the same thing. did you ever find out?

April 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Yes, ladies. Just dump the stuffing and seasonings on top of the casserole. It will cook just fine. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Bobbie
    September 28, 2012 at 7:59 am

Jamie what can I say but…wow…made this last night and my family loved it! They said I will have to make this again. I didn’t have the Swiss cheese so I used mozzarella (next time will get the Swiss to try). Turned out great! The chicken was moist and tender and the stuffing was a perfect. This was so easy to make after a long day at work. Thank you…all of your recipes are wonderful. I love knowing that I don’t have to worry when I pick a recipe from you to fix. I just know it will be good and that’s a wonderful feeling. Saves my time and my pocket book! Thank you again.

September 28, 2012 at 8:47 am

Bobbie,
      So glad it turned out well for you!

August 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Jamie- could I replace the cream of mushroom with cream of chicken?

August 20, 2013 at 7:51 am

Lauren,
      Yes, you could make that trade just fine. Good luck!

Audra
    December 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hi Jamie,

I was wondering what salad that you made with this dish? Can’t find it on your site. Thanks

Bryn
    February 3, 2014 at 5:34 am

Hi jamie. I plan of making this and was getting my grocery list together. In the picture it looks like there are mushrooms, but they are not listed with ingredients. Do you sauté them or add them raw? Thanks!

February 3, 2014 at 7:30 am

Bryn,
      I do (sometimes) add mushrooms to this recipe. Just layer them over the chicken, and before you add the cheese. I usually use canned. Good luck!