Apple Wheat Pancakes and Buttercream Syrup

Apple Wheat Pancakes and Buttercream Syrup

Oh my blog reading, recipe seeking, food gawking friends. When you taste this Buttercream Syrup, you will think you have died and gone to heaven. Heaven, I say. Will heaven be a place where we can all eat buttery delights to our hearts content?
I’m crossing my fingers.
Heaven would be eating this creamy syrup every day, without your waistline growing one tiny speck. That would be heaven.
My kids fell in love with this syrup and I have to say that since I  made it I have been dreaming about what other recipes I might be able to use it in. Stay tuned….
I’ve got some fabulous things in mind.
Did I just admit that I dream about butter syrup?
It’s not a wonder I started this blog.
 Might as well do something constructive with this
food obsession of mine.
The recipe comes from my friends at Deals To Meals.
Apple Wheat Pancakes

1 C white flour
1 C wheat flour
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
3/4 t salt
3/4 t baking soda

1. To make the pancakes beat all ingredients until smooth. If the batter is too thick add a bit more water or milk. If the batter is too thin add a bit more flour.
2. Heat a skillet and spray with cooking spray. Pour batter in 1/4 C  increments on the skillet and cook until the bubbles on the top of the batter stop bubbling. Flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side.

Butter Cream Syrup

1 stick butter (1/2 C)
1 cup sugar
1/2-3/4 can evaporated milk (can be substituted with buttermilk for a different, yet yummy taste)
1 tsp vanilla

1. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the sugar slowly and  stirring until it is creamy and thick.
2. Add the milk a little at a time while stirring. Add the vanilla and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes while it thickens further.

March 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Gonna have to try that syrup, sounds delish!

March 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Where were you when I needed you yesterday!?!? I searched your whole blog for a syrup recipe like this and nothin', so I was left to my own devices–let's just say the outcome was not so pretty! Thanks for finally getting your act together!!:) I love the blog~but love you even more!

March 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

That butter cream syrup sounds just wonderful!

March 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Jamie: The pancakes with the buttercream syrup would be a dream come true to eat un-guilty-ly (new word?) and I'm dying to try the recipe, but honestly, I have no idea what a cube of butter is! I'm old as dirt and have never heard that term before. Please help quickly so I can get this food into my mouth!

March 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Loving your blog and all of these yummy recipes!!

March 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Palleta,
    Your comment has me chuckling and chuckling!
    I'm sure you are much younger than dirt….and much more beautiful as well.
    1 cube of butter is the same thing as 1 stick of butter, or 1/2 C butter.
    Hope this helps and may you be savoring ButterCream Syrup soon!

March 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Kristine…
    You know you are privy to the JamieCooksItUp hot line. I love to hear your voice any time for any thing. Give me a jingle next time!
    Love you too,

March 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I love buttercream syrup!! I've never made it with evaporated milk, I always use buttermilk so I am really excited to try it with evaporated milk. I love your blog!! Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

March 19, 2010 at 12:03 am

Hey, where on earth did you find pretzel salt for your soft pretzels? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

March 19, 2010 at 2:27 am

Mmm good! I definitely agree…it wouldn't be heaven without this Butter Syrup! :) From the moment I “stole” this recipe from my college roommate many years ago I have always had the idea of mass producing it and selling it somehow(maybe at our next neighborhood bake sale?)…it's liquid gold I tell ya and I just know there would be many that would pay top dollar for this stuff! Let me know if you're in…with you're beautiful pictures and marketing skills we could definitely have some success! sure love ya Jamie…and your blog…it always brings a smile to my face and leaves my mouth drewling!!!

March 19, 2010 at 2:40 am

Kim,
    Are you in Utah? If so, I'm pretty sure I got mine at Maceys. It has been a number of years since then. (I don't go through it very fast!) But I would check there.
    Good luck! I hate it when I can't find something I'm in need of. Last weekend I went to 3 different pharmacies looking for Citric Acid. I never could track any down and had to make my Citrus Water without it!
    Hope you and pretzel salt become acquaintances sooner than later!

March 19, 2010 at 3:40 am

Yup, sure am. We have a lot of friends in common. Katherine Rose is the one who turned me on to your blog. I'll be making chicken chow mein tomorrow for dinner and HOPEFULLY pretzels if I can find the dang salt. :) I think my mom gets her citric acid from Orson Gygi (if that's even how you spell it) when she makes her lemon water. :)

March 19, 2010 at 3:41 am

Oh, and what “section” did you find it in? I checked the baking/spice aisle at Harmon's and Smith's. I kept meaning to ask a store employee but forgot. :)

March 19, 2010 at 4:03 am

Kim,
    I think I remember the salt being with the large containers of seasonings, on the baking isle. It seems Maceys has a brand of seasonings that aren't available in other stores. The containers are big and have a red lid on the top. I just pulled mine out of the cupboard and the brand name is “Grandma's Country”. They have a lot of great seasonings, and come in large quantities so they last a long time.
    Katherine Rose is a hoot! She is kind to have passed on the word about this blog. Love her.
    Have a great night! And thanks for the tip about Citric Acid. I will try Orsen Gigi. (Can't say I have the right spelling either!)

March 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Jamie!

March 21, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I made this syrup this weekend with french toast, strawberries, and whipped cream. Yum! I still have a bunch left over in my fridge, and I'm trying to figure what else I can put it on. So far it's pretty good for apple dipping :) I think I'll try your apple pancakes too. Thanks Jamie! And thanks to Angela for sharing your “secret recipe” too! :)

Eileen
    March 22, 2010 at 12:24 am

You shop at Maceys! Bless you!!!

March 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm

All I can say is I will be steeling this recipe, Don't worry I will give credit where credit is due!!!

May 30, 2010 at 7:58 pm

What size can of evaporated milk?

June 1, 2010 at 3:22 am

Anonymous,
    You use a 12 oz. can. Hope it turns out great!

Jae U.
    June 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Made this syrup last week…super yummy change of pace for my pancake and waffle-loving family! What's the best way to store this syrup though? I currently have it in a rinsed out regular syrup bottle, but I noticed it thickens up at room temperature (as butter does). Is that normal? So I just warm it up each time we want to use it?

June 16, 2010 at 3:44 am

Jae,
    I have to admit, I have never tried to store any leftovers. My family always eats the whole batch. (Should I be admitting that?)
    However, I would suggest storing it in the fridge actually. I don't know how long canned milk will last without being refrigerated. Then just heat it up again when you need to use it.
    Thanks!

August 3, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I would like to say that you really made my day, it's wonderful when you just look around the web
    and find something like this, reminds me of that ''How to make a dinner for a romantic…'' by Elsa Thomas,
    you're a wonderful writer let me tell you!!! ñ_ñ

James Maverick (maverickhunterjames@gmail.com)
    3453 Rardin Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94403
    Project Manager
    650-627-8033

November 2, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I ADORE your blog. I subscribe to it and have tried several yummy recipes. Sunday morning I tried the butter cream syrup. OMG!!! We all were in heaven. It tasted like a creamy, buttery, caramel dream. I saved the left overs and drizzled it over ice cream later that afternoon. Thank you so much for your brilliant recipes and ideas. My family depends on them!

November 7, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for the recipe! It was a hit with the whole family!