Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

Well hello there!
And how are you doing on this December day….
Are you feeling swell?
Are you frazzled?
Have you had enough fudge to last a life time?
Is your hand sore from signing 237 Christmas Cards?
 Is your check book about to bounce right out of the universe?
Shucks…..I hate it when that happens.
Sometimes December can be heavy laden, can’t it?
Always so much to do, and so little time to do it in!
Just because I know you may be short on time.
And because I know you may want something sweet to go with the savory Breakfast Casserole I posted earlier this week.
I am posting one more make ahead Christmas Breakfast recipe.Just for you.
Always the thinker, aren’t I?
Yup. I got your back.
Your pretty little, heavy laden,
most-wonderful-time-of -the year back.

Sometimes I get rambling on and on about heavy laden backs, my laundry, my kids, and you fine readers…
and forget to talk a lot about the particular recipe of the day.
Don’t leave here before I tell you how fabulous this dish is!
I love this dish because it is easy to assemble
the night before you need it.
It tastes wonderful! The bottom of the french toast gets all caramelized and gooey, while the inside is a fabulous blend of  baked cream cheese and strawberry jam.
I think you are going to love it!
Amen.

1/2 C strawberry jam
8 eggs
1 C milk
cinnamon
Fresh Strawberries
Powdered sugar

1. Combine the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
2. Slice up your bread. You want the pieces to be about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the pan.
4. Smooth it all out, so it covers the bottom entirely.
5. Lay your slices of bread on top of the buttery brown sugar. I had to cut some of my slices in half, still turned out great! You can have them touch each other, just not overlap.
6. In a separate bowl combine the cream cheese, egg, sugar and strawberry jam. Beat with hand held beaters (or in your stand mixer) until nice and smooth. Pour it right over the top of the bread.
7. Layer more bread over the top of the cream cheese filling.
8. In another bowl (ok, this takes a lot of bowls!) combine the 8 eggs and 1 C of milk. Whisk them around until well combined. Pour over the top of the bread.
9. Sprinkle the top of the bread with some cinnamon.
10. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
11. Bake in the morning at 350. Depending on how quickly your oven cooks, and how cold you keep your fridge you will need to bake it for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. It needs to soak up all of the egg and milk juice, and have time to caramelize along the bottom. Take the foil off for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
12. Serve with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar. You can also use frozen strawberries. This is the middle of the winter after all! Just be sure they have had a chance to thaw.
Enjoy!

December 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I really love the flavors you can get with stuffed frech toast – it really elevates a somewhat simple dish. Strawberries and cream cheese? You're making me drool – especially now that I'm mainly eating chocolate, pepperming and gingerbread. These wouuld be such a nice change of pace!

December 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I have never actually eaten “stuffed” french toast, but I have been curious. And after reading this, I am downright drooling!! Definitely going to have to give this one a try!!=)

December 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

This looks amazing! I can't wait to give it a try.

December 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Mmm, I love strawberries and cream cheese! Fantastic combo! I do wonder though, does the french toast not get soggy? I have only once tried making a french toast recipe that sits overnight in the fridge but we didn't like it because it was so soggy and icky, even after it had been fully baked.

December 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

This looks delicious!! Thank you for this recipe

December 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Holy Cow, your blog is a godsend today!! I got online looking for a punch recipe and found your recipe for “lime slush”. Sounds yummy and I can't wait to make it. I also found some recipes for dinner and probably about a list of 10 treats I am going to make in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing your recipes, and your pictures look mouth wateringly (is that a word?) delicious!!

December 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Oh my goodness this sounds yummy!! I'm going to have to try this soon ;) Thanks for the recipe ;) It looks great!

December 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

This looks so yummy We will for sure have to make this when my family comes in town. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

December 17, 2010 at 1:00 am

oh wow that is a great breakfast for a crowd! it looks delicious!

December 17, 2010 at 4:14 am

Sounds delicious and economical (A big HURRAY for that, seeing as my checking account is a BIG smoking crater right now. Three children's birthdays and Christmas in December does not bode well for the budget!). Thank you, again for another fabulous recipe. You and your heavy laden back are the BEST!! :D

December 18, 2010 at 12:12 am

Jamie, do you use store bought french bread or your homemade recipe?

December 22, 2010 at 5:55 am

Hi Kim,
    So sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have only used store purchased bread for this recipe in the past. I think it would be great with my homemade French Bread…just haven't ever done it quite yet. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out! Hope you have a great holiday, Kim!

December 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm

um, yum?! I'm posting on my blog so my friends can see with a link to this page. You're amazing! Can't wait to try!

November 16, 2011 at 12:43 am

It is so good made it 2 times already!!!

December 31, 2011 at 5:13 am

This sounds so- amazing! I began printing it after only reading the title and before looking at the rest of it. Now that I've read it all I'm even more excited to try it. Thanks!

Lori C.
    January 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thank you for an amazing recipe! I made this for brunch this morning. Great way to start the new year! I used cream with the eggs and added a splash of vanilla to both the cream cheese and the eggs. Also added orange zest to the cream cheese and skipped the sugar, actually, I forgot it. Thankfully, it wasn't missed. Top was crispy and nothing was soggy! DELICIOUS!

May 13, 2012 at 1:18 am

Thank for this recipe. This recipe has now become a Mother's Day brunch tradition. I love that it's simple to make (and most of the work is the night before), makes a lot, and is so delicious! We have several kids in our group so in addition to the fresh strawberries we also offer strawberry syrup and whipped cream. Yum!

Emma
    September 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

We had this for breakfast this morning as we sent my BIL off on the rest of his road trip. It was delicious! I might save it for a lazy vacation morning next time, getting up at 5:00 to put breakfast in the oven wasn’t my best idea. (Then I went back to sleep) Not that I’m sleeping much with 3 weeks before this baby arrives. Thanks for the recipe!