Soft Bread Bowls

Soft Bread Bowls

I have a wonderful little recipe for you today, my friends.
Soft Bread Bowls…
simply perfect for serving tasty soup in.
Tasty soups is what we like to eat this time of year,
isn’t it?
Go ahead and nod your head.
I know we agree…
Soup season is upon us.
Happy days are here again.
:)    :)    :)

Soft Bread Bowls
Time: about 60 minutes
Yield: 6 bowls
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home

2 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
4 C flour
1/2 C warm water
1 C  milk
2 T butter
1 T yeast (I use active dry)
1 egg, beaten

1. Place 2 C flour into the bottom of your stand mixer. Add the sugar

and the salt.  Stir it around a bit to combine.

2. Pour your milk and water into one measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 1 minute, or until bubbly and hot.

3. Carefully put the butter into the hot liquid and let it melt just a bit.

4. Pour the buttery milk into your mixer.

Turn the mixer on to low and let it mix for just 30 seconds or so.

5. Add the yeast.

and the remaining 2 cups of flour.

6. Mix the dough for 5 minutes.

7. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set the dough out on to it.

8. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 6 equal parts. (No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. There are 7 pieces of dough in the picture above. Because there are 7 people in my family…and no one likes to be left without a bread bowl. :)

9. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes, then shape each piece into a ball. Whisk your egg up in a small bowl and spread the egg over the tops of each dough ball.
10. Place the pan in a 170 degree oven and let the dough rise until doubled in size. This should take between 15-25 minutes.
11. Turn your oven up to 350 degrees (leave the pan in the oven while the temperature increases) Bake the little bowls for about 15 minutes (depending on how long your oven takes to heat up) or until golden brown.

12. Let the bowls cool for about 10 minutes, then slice the top of each bowl,

Scoop out the middle,

and pour some soup right on in!
Enjoy!

October 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

I can't wait to make these…they look delicious and so easy too :)

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Those look so great! Drooling on my computer keyboard.

October 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Thank you so much Jamie! I have been looking for a good bread bowl recipe and I know yours will be absolutely delicious!! I will be trying this week. :)

Stephanie
    October 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I'm trying these tonight! I have tried MANY of your recipes and my family has loved ALL of them! You make me look like such a good cook! THANKS!

October 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Wow! I always wanted to have a bowl bread recipe! Thank you for sharing and making it look so easy!

You're the best!

October 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm

What a great recipe, this looks absolutely delicious! I LOVE your blog and so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

October 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm

You read my mind! Just the other day I was wondering how to make my own bread bowls. We're having clam chowder tomorrow night, and now I know just what to serve them in. Thank you!

October 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Yum…looks good….but I'm going to have to make mine a lot bigger! ;)

October 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

These bread bowls look amazing. I don't have a Kitchen Aide. :( Could I knead the dough by hand? This might be a silly question, but I get scared when it comes to making bread! Thanks, Jamie! I love, love, love your blog!

October 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I alway have to ask when the recipe doesn't specify, what kind of yeast do you use?

October 26, 2011 at 8:43 pm

The Rowes,
    I would knead the dough for about 5 minutes, then cover it and let it rise for about 30 minutes and you should be good to good. Good Luck!

Banana,
    Hello there. I use active dry yeast. If you are using instant you'll want to use just a bit less.
    Good luck!

October 27, 2011 at 4:43 am

I made the bread bowls tonight. They were a hit. I too have a family of seven so each one came to 4.8 ounces. Next time I make them, I'm going to double the recipe, the bowls were too small for my liking. However, my family didn't seem to care, they just kept refilling the bread bowl. Thanks for making tonight's dinner such a success!

October 31, 2011 at 3:37 am

I love your bread recipes, can't wait to try this one.

November 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I'm making this for the first time today…they are in the oven right now. but i have a question. why the egg on top? does it change the taste, color, make it rise better? would it make a difference if i didn't brush the egg on?

November 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hi Jen,
    The egg doesn't make it rise butter, but does add to the texture, color and appearance of the crust. They wouldn't come out with a nice shine on them with out the egg. Hope they turned out well for you!

November 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

They were delicious! We all really loved them. But they didn't rise as much as it looks like yours did. I'm NOT a yeast expert…and I live at sea level. I assume that makes a difference. Any suggestions on getting bread to rise better here in Houston?

December 16, 2011 at 3:00 am

I made these bread bowls and wrote about it
    here. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. It was a big hit with my family, particularly my daughter.

Brianne
    January 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I made these bread bowls a couple of nights ago. They turned out PERFECT! The bowls tasted delicious, but were also very pretty. I LOVE that the dough does not have to rise twice. What a timesaver. The bowls are a little smaller than what you might find at the store, but once I filled mine with soup. I could barely finish one serving. I was stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey. Thanks for the great recipe. This one's a keeper. I really enjoy your blog and check it daily.

February 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Making these bread bowls right now and am a bit worried…the yeast didn't dissolve and my dough has yeast balls in it…is that normal? Why don't you dissolve the yeast in the milk/water mixture first?? I am going to try and bake these yeast ones and we will see I guess! Maybe it's a faster way to have them rise??? We'll see!

April 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Making these AGAIN for tonight. LOVE them! Thanks for the super recipe!!!!!

October 7, 2012 at 7:35 am

My daughter made these for my birthday dinner. They were soooooo good! And they made the homemade soup and salad sooo much fancier! Super fun idea.

Eloise
    October 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thank you for this recipe. IT WAS SO EASY!!! will be maiking this again, this fall.

October 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm

First time visitor and have already pinned numerous recipes! Everything looks delicious, and you are so entertaining! Keep up the good work!

October 16, 2012 at 6:30 am

Carly,
      Welcome to you. Hope you enjoy the recipes. :)

Amy
    November 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

What does the big T stand for? tablespoon?

Eloise
    November 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Hey Jamie! silly question, but is it possible to mamke larger bowls, with this recipe? and, any suggestions on what to do with the “middle” part of the bread?
    Your recipes are AMAZING!! thank you

November 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Eloise,
      Yes, you can make the bowls bigger. Just reduce the temperature a bit and then let them cook longer. We always use the inside of the bowls to dip in the soup and enjoy.
      Good luck!

Dakota
    November 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Just took these out of the oven… They look really good, and the inside is very soft:) But i only divided this dough into 4 balls, in order to make giant bowls, and they didnt seem to rise as big as yours(even using the exact measurements you did) :( i even baked them for almost half an hour in order for them to brown… Ill have to try again within the next couple weeks, maybe because i kneaded the dough instead of mixing it?? should i have let it rise twice?

January 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I made these tonight and they were AWESOME!! Sooooo easy too!! My husband and kids loved them too. Have you ever frozen them before? I am wondering if you can make a bunch and freeze them?

January 2, 2013 at 7:07 am

Hi Amy,
      So glad the bread bowls worked out for you. Yes, they freeze quite well. Just be sure they are in a freezer safe bag (like ziploc). Good luck!

February 8, 2014 at 2:31 am

Besides using them in really prtety bowls everywhere (including my bathrooms), I place them on my mantel, mixed in with my garland and snow globes. I also put them in one of the very biggest bowls or silver tubs I have, and put them on the floor in front of the fireplace. They always look so beautiful when the lights are shining on them.

Yvette
    October 18, 2013 at 6:21 am

I have never made homemade bread and I do not have a kitchen aide mixer. If i am mixing by hand how long do i mix? I never seem to have any luck with stuff made out of dough lol. Just don’t want to have tough bread bowls :)

October 21, 2013 at 8:02 am

Yvette,
      I would recommend kneading the dough for 5 minutes, then cover it and let it rest and rise for 1 hour. Then knead it for 5 more minutes, then you are ready to shape the dough and let the bread bowls rise. It really helps, when you are kneading by hand to let it rise between kneading times. Good luck! Hope this one works out well for you!

Erin
    November 3, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Such a tasty and easy recipe! I’ve been wanting to make my own bread bowls for a while now; if I found this recipe sooner I would’ve done it a long time ago! My boyfriend compared it to Panera bread bowls!!

Will definitely be making this again!!!

Cindy
    December 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I made this recipe twice. The first I made it, I used the full 4 cups of flour and it was very dry and crumbly. I couldn’t incorporate all of the flour and ended up throwing it away. I don’t have a mixer so I’ve been kneading it by hand. I’m making it now for the second time. I only used 2 1/2 C of flour and it ended up incorporating well and looks like a good bread dough. I’m hoping it will rise and bake well. I made sure I was following the recipe to a T and not sure where I went wrong. Is this normal?

December 9, 2013 at 6:31 am

Cindy,
      If you are mixing by hand, using less flour would definitely help. (As you have seen). Also, if you let it rise for an hour after you have mixed it, this will help greatly as well. Once it has risen, punch it down and knead for an additional 5 minutes. Then shape the dough in to the desired size and let them rise again. Bake, and you are good to go. Good luck! Good for you, for trying it without a mixer. :)