Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

So here’s the thing, dear reader.

You know and I know, that mashed potato making can take up a lot of time, use up a lot of pans and send a person into a sweaty panic just before a beautiful meal is served. Am I right? Now if you are just having a relaxing night at home and happened to cook a lovely pot roast or something…mashed potatoes are no big deal. But on a big grand kind of day like Thanksgiving or Christmas when you are cooking up a festive storm and have all kinds of recipes being made at once while greeting guests, carving large turkeys and taking the curlers out of your hair, it’s nice to have a few dishes in your repertoire that can be made ahead of time.

Keep these Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes in mind, won’t you? They are absolutely delicious, can be made up to 2 days in advance and then reheated either in the oven or in your crock pot. My family loved them and claimed they were the best mashed potatoes I have ever made.

Fancy that.

Should have tried them sooner. :)

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 30 minutes prep + 45 min. baking in the oven or 1 1/2 hours crock pot heating
Recipe adapted from MyDearMother

8 large russet potatoes
1/2 C sour cream
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C milk
salt and pepper
4 T butter, melted

1. Wash and peel 8 large russet potatoes.

2. Slice each one in half, down the center.

3. Cut each half into two slices.

3. Chop each of the slices into chunks that are roughly the same size. Don’t get a ruler out or anything like that. :) Just watch that they are similar.

4. Place the potato chunks into a large pot and fill it up with hot water. Be sure the potatoes are covered by at least an inch of water.

5. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Should take about 15 minutes.

6. Drain the water from the pot and pour the hot potatoes into your stand mixer. If you don’t have a stand mixer, just leave them in the cooking pot and mix them with hand beaters.

7. Add 1/2 cup sour cream,

1/2 cup butter,

8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup of milk and salt and pepper to taste. Mix it on slow speed until all ingredients are combined and the potatoes are smooth and delightful. If the potatoes are too thick add some more milk and mix until your desired consistency is reached. Be sure and taste them and add more salt and pepper if you like.

8. Spread the potatoes out into a large casserole dish or into your crock pot, cover the dish and store it in your fridge.
9. When you are ready to use the mashed potatoes, remove them from the fridge and let them rest on the counter for 30 minutes. If you are planning to bake them in the oven, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until heated through. If you are using your crock pot cook them on low for 1 1/2-2 hours (depending on how hot your crock pot cooks things) or until they are heated throughout.
10. Pour 4 tablespoons of melted butter over the hot potatoes. Stir it in with a nice wooden spoon until well incorporated.

Serve and Enjoy!

Janelle
    November 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

Oh, thank you! This is precisely one of the tricky things I dread about Thanksgiving. That and having HOT rolls. :) Will be using your recipe this year for sure!

Olivia Strout
    November 9, 2012 at 11:16 am

I don’t see a way to Pin this recipe onto Pinterest. Are you not doing that anymore?

November 9, 2012 at 11:18 am

I can’t find the p to pin it to pinterest.

Erin R.
    November 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

Whoa, freaking genius! I think I’m bringing the mashed potatoes this year and was just wondering if they would work in my crockpot. Awesome. Thanks so much for the recipe and the step by step.

November 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Mashed potatoes are my favorite! Thank you so much for this Crockpot recipe, it sounds awesome! Im going to be making it this year for Thanksgiving! =)

Emily
    November 9, 2012 at 12:59 pm

We’ve been making these for the holidays for years at our house – MY FAVORITE! I will say though, don’t freeze them. My mother froze them one year & took them out to thaw & reheat & they were watery & they just didn’t retain that smooth creamy texture. Otherwise, super delicious & easy!

denise
    November 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm

HELP!! Here’s my question. If I want to make them for dinner tonight can I serve them as soon as I make them or is there something special about putting them in the fridge and reheating them that makes them taste that much better?

November 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Denise,
      You can definitely eat them fresh and hot. They should be super wonderful. Good luck!

November 10, 2012 at 4:35 am

Verry good.

Bobbi Deee
    November 10, 2012 at 6:52 am

Where’s the “pinner”?

Mary
    November 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

you can also use 1/2 c of half and half in place of the sour cream…just as good!

Mary
    November 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Love your recipies! Wish i could pin them!!

dianna
    November 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

great idea! i have a friend who does this but freezes them. thaw day before & reheat in oven. she makes several batches for the holidays & it does save her tons of time!

November 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

So glad you shared reheating instructions for the oven and crockpot. Brilliant!

Jennine
    November 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Awesome!! I have to take mashed potatoes from Herriman to Ogden and I was wondering how I was going to make that work. I didn’t really think I would find a mashed potatoes recipe on your website because it’s such a basic thing. WOW!! Surprised and lucky am I. This is perfect!!

Saralyn
    July 17, 2013 at 10:59 am

1/2 cup of butter, or 1/2 stick?

July 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Saralyn,
      1/2 cup of butter. :)

Carole
    July 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I need to make mashed potatoes for a wedding for about 200 people. Can I heat these in my roaster oven? Also, any suggestions to make them a little less expensive to make that many? Thank you.

Pat schrolucke
    November 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I have made these they are awesome a bit hit and easy to make and heat up when needed

Karen
    November 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I saw a show on TV that says you should never beat potatoes with a electric mixer. It breaks down the gluten and they become like paste so I always mash them with a hand held potato masher. Is what they are saying true?

Gembell
    November 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I’m bringing the mashed potatoes to Thanksgiving this year and I love that I can make them ahead… I’m just wondering if you have an approximate weight of the potatoes. My potatoes are on the smaller side and I’m not sure how many I’ll need to make this recipe and have it turn out as it should. Thanks!

Theresa Obrzut
    December 10, 2014 at 11:35 am

I have been doing potatoes ahead time for years now. I do about 10 pounds. This is such a time saver. One thing I add to my mashed potatoes is roasted garlic. I roast a whole garlic bulb.