Oats and Berry Bars

Oats and Berry Bars

Several months ago my dear blogging friend Patricia (from Butter Yum) asked me if I wanted to participate in The Wooden Spoon Adventures. What are The Wooden Spoon Adventures, you might be wondering? Let me tell you all about it. :)

This very wooden spoon has been making its way around the world, cooking up delicious dishes in each kitchen it has visited. The spoon started out in all the way across the ocean in the UK with a blogger named Kate who writes the blog A Merrier Wold. She started The Wooden Spoon Adventure as a way to celebrate her blogs 5th anniversary. The spoon then traveled to Melindas Kitchen, The Evil Cake Lady, The Knitty Baker and then to my friend Patricia at Butter Yum. Patricia passed it along to me and  I will be passing the spoon along to Mari from Once Upon A Plate.

I have used this traveling spoon to make you all some very delightful Oats and Berry Bars. Sure wish you could sit right down and have one with me this very minute. :)These bars are VERY simple to make and use ingredients you most likely have on hand. Though the ingredient list is short, the bars are moist and flavorful. The oats give them a wonderful texture. I used homemade blueberry jam, but you could use whatever you have around. Hope you enjoy these, guys! Let’s me show you how to make them. :)

OATS AND BERRY BARS
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 15 min. prep + 35 min. baking
Yield: One 9×13 pan, cut as small or large as you like
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes

1 C brown sugar
2 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 C rolled oats
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C  jam (I used blueberry)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl place 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups  flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 cups rolled oats.

3. Add 1 cup soft butter.

Grab yourself a pastry blender and mix the butter into the dry ingredients. No pastry blender? Don’t worry about it, you can just use your fingers to blend the butter in.

You are looking for the mixture to resemble coarse crumbs.

4. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour 4 cups of the oat mixture into the pan.

5. Grab some delicious jam. I used this homemade blueberry jam (recipe and tutorail found here). Pour 1 1/2 cups of the jam into a microwave safe bowl and heat it up for about 30 seconds. Warming up the jam will make it much easier to spread.

6. Pour the jam onto the oats mixture and spread it out with a knife. Be sure to leave about a half-inch around the perimeter of the pan free from jam.

7. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top of the of the jam.

8. Press it gently into the pan with a wooden spoon.
9. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Allow the pan to cool completely and then cut into bars.

Enjoy!

Your Homebased Mom

kraftychic
    January 16, 2013 at 10:30 am

Wow! These look so-o delicious! I’m going to make them today. I’ll try using Splenda brown sugar and sugar free jam. We try very hard not to eat too much sugar. I can’t wait to try these! TFS!

Janice Polderman
    January 16, 2013 at 10:40 am

I wonder if you could try this with pie fillings? It would be great to actually have the fruit in with the jam….

January 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

:) – Great Post, Jamie! And how did you know blueberries were my favorite? Sure wish I had one of those today. Actually, I’m making a cranberry oat bar recipe that is very similar… wish I would have thought to use my homemade blueberry jam. Next time! Thanks for participating in the Wooden Spoon Adventure!!

Emma
    January 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for today. I need to make some treats for my hubby. He has to take them to mutual. Perfect for the kids’ after school snack and then give away the rest. I have a lot of homemade jam in my pantry to choose from. Thanks Jamie!

Nancy
    January 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I make this exact same recipe except I use cherry pie filling with just a dash of almond extract. My mom called them Royal Cherry Bars. So good! I can’t wait to try these blueberry ones!

January 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I am so glad I found your blog. This recipe looks wonderful!

Jennifer
    January 16, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Are those white chocolate chips I see hiding behind your hand? I’m guessing they didn’t work out? The bars look delish, though. I’ll have to try them out on my kiddos!

Rebecca D
    January 20, 2013 at 9:37 am

Made these today and they were so yummy. Another fabulous recipe from Jamie!

January 21, 2013 at 2:59 am

I love, love, love blueberries. And oaty things – so these two are a perfect combination as far as I’m concerned! Sorry for not responding sooner – we’ve been without internet access for some time (far, far too long a time) while waiting for our phone line to be fixed. Thank you for taking part in my spoon’s adventures!

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hi Jamie, your bars look good. Can you update your post with my part of Wooden Spoon Adventure (http://knittybaker.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-wooden-spoon-adventure-zucchini.html). Thanks!

Sharidan Dillon
    June 25, 2013 at 7:17 am

I made these last night and they were great!

December 5, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Sooo glad I pinned this recipe earlier this year. Looks like it will be just the thing to make for a cookie swap or two this month. I am recuperating from shoulder surgery and still can’t do much strenuous cooking but this looks very easy to do! And the biggest bonus is how much jam it uses since I’m a bit of an overachiever jam maker. ;) Thank you for the many lovely recipes and tips you post!

February 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped
    me.

February 4, 2014 at 1:03 am

I was wondering what happened to that wooden spoon and I see it has made some delicious looking bars! So glad the spoon adventures continue and what a treat to discover a new (to me) blog. Happy baking!