One Ingredient Frozen Banana Ice Cream

One Ingredient Frozen Banana Ice Cream

I know it’s January.

Which means its bitter cold outside, man. Freezing gusts of snow are billowing right outside my window at this very moment! One might wonder why a girl like me would post a recipe for ice cream at this frosty point in time. What can I say to defend myself other than…this banana ice cream is creamy, oh so sweet, healthy!!!! and has only one ingredient.

Bananas.

It’s made out of frozen bananas, ladies and gentlemen. And that is all.

I am not kidding. Nor am I pulling your leg, or arm or eyelashes.  (Ok, you might need to add just a splash of milk if your food processor isn’t cooperating. Just to be truthful here.)

This Banana Ice Cream is perfect for you if you have a bunch of brown spotted bananas lying around on the counter. It is perfect for you if you are looking for a treat that has no added sugar. If you are a banana lover this one is for you, baby.

PS…the winner of the Rubee Lane giveaway is Kisha Clark. We will contact you soon by email.

Let’s make it!

1. Cut some very ripe bananas into slices. (I used 4 bananas which gave me about 3 1/2 cups of ice cream). Place them on a large cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Cover it with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 12 hours, or until the bananas are hard.

2. Toss them into a food processor or a blender (like this here Ninja) and blend them up.

They will look kind of weird like this at first.

While the food processor/blender is off, scrape the sides of the bowl. Then continue to blend. It helps if you do this several times. If your bananas are being really stubborn and they don’t want to turn creamy on you, just add a splash or two of milk to get things moving along.

Then keep blending until magic happens right before your very eyeballs. Creamy, ice cream like magic made right out of the brown bananas sitting on your counter.

Scoop some into a cone and make a small person smile or something, won’t you?

My kids gave it rave reviews. (There was even a small squabble as to who got to eat the leftovers I had packed away in the freezer.)

Enjoy!

Monica
    January 11, 2013 at 6:15 am

I’m not sure how I first came across your blog but we love it I haven’t made a recipe yet that hasn’t been a hit.thank you so much for all your work I have a question there are many recipes out there that start with canned biscuits or canned cresant rolls I would like to try them but don’t have canned stuff on hand do you know of a basic recipe that could be used in place of these it would be great to be able to still make these recipes with what I have on hand at home I just figured if anyone knew it would be you thanks again and sorry for such a long comment

JV
    January 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

And if you add cocoa powder to it, it’s even better! :) Rich dark chocolate flavor, yum!

denise
    January 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh this looks perfect to take care of that ‘sweet’ urge, and still be watching the girlish figure (not to imply that I even still HAVE a girlish figure–but if I did )
    Thanks Jamie. Will try this –SOON–
    Denise

amber
    January 11, 2013 at 11:18 am

great idea! I have about two dozen frozen bananas in my freezer! I’m totally doing this!

Jennifer
    January 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

I make this all the time. I also do the same thing with frozen strawberries (and with maybe a splash of oj or apple juice or milk)…delish! Or sometimes a mixture of bananas and strawberries… or even other fruit that I have thought to freeze. Such an awesome and tasty alternative to ice cream.

January 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Oh yes- my kids beg for this. They will purposely neglect the bananas on the counter just so they will get to the point where this is the only way they can be saved :) It’s good- I have to admit. We had it all the time this past summer.

Lynn
    January 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I have to agree with Monica…I can’t remember how I got to your blog either, but enjoy reading it every time! Am planning on making the Bavarian Pot Roast tomorrow and can’t wait to see if it tastes as good as your pictures of it look!

January 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’ve been reading about this “ice cream” for such a long time, but haven’t had the pleasure of trying it yet. Love the pics!

Patricia
    PS – any plans for the Traveling Spoon Adventures to make its next appearance?

Annie
    January 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Cute boy! Is that one twin or Both? Adorable….
    Ice cream looks yummy…can’t wait to try it.

Laura
    January 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Made this yesterday after reading your recipe. It was AMAZING! I love banana ice cream and this is better and without all of the added fat and calories! Thank you so much for this recipe. My husband and I are trying to cut back on processed sweets and this is a great alternative!!

Kristi
    January 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I made this the other night…. I loved it. I got a Ninja for Christmas, so I hadn’t really had the opportunity to play with it much. Thank you for the recipe!

LC
    April 22, 2013 at 10:37 am

I just made this ice cream and it’s amazing! I left my bananas in the fridge for more than 12 hours, then I putted them in the blender and I added two tablespoons of cocoa powder and OMG! the taste is awesome! I just had a cup and I topped it with some brazil nuts and almonds…I’m so happy :)

February 16, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Have fun at Thanksgiving, because you might not see
    Christmas. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until evenly combined and set aside for grilling.
    You will need to obtain the following ingredients to make one
    gallon of liquid goat’s milk soap:.

March 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity to your post
    is just spectacular and i could think you are a professional on
    this subject. Fine with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to keep updated with imminent post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.