Last week while I was at a church dinner I sampled these wonderful Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting, my friend Lara had made and donated to the event. Baby, they were so good. The cake is moist and flavorful, the cream cheese frosting buttery and divine. They are made in a large jelly roll pan, so they will feed a lot of people. Perfect for any of you needing to bring a fall treat to your next autumn event, such as…
Church Chili Cook-off, Halloween Trunk or Treat Extravaganza, Tail Gating Party Extraordinaire or Book Club with your Best Ladies.
Hope you give them a try, folks! You won’t be sorry, unless you find yourself alone with the whole pan and no one to share them with. Then, I you might be super sorry. Just saying. Proceed with caution.
Thanks for the recipe, Lara!
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Time:15 min. prep + 30 min. baking + time to cool and frost
Yield: 24 servings (or more if you cut them smaller)
Recipe from the lovely Lara Rognen
2 C sugar
2 C pumpkin (a small, 15 ounce can works great)
1 C oil
2 C flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C butter, softened
3 ounce cream cheese, softened
1 Tb milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
dash of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer place 2 cups sugar and 4 eggs.
3. Add a small 15 ounce can of pumpkin and 1 cup canola or vegetable oil.
4. Mix for 2 minutes.
5. In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss them all together to combine and add them to the pumpkin/oil mixture.
6. Mix for 2 minutes, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so everything gets well incorporated.
7. Spray a large jelly roll pan (mine is 12×16) with cooking spray and pour the batter into it.
18. Spread the batter out evenly with a knife.
19. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely.
20. To make the frosting place 3/4 cup softened butter and 3 ounces softened cream cheese into a small mixing bowl.
21. Add 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar and a dash of salt. Beat until nice and smooth. Add a bit more milk if the frosting is too stiff.
22. When the cake has cooled completely, spoon the frosting onto the top…
and spread it out evenly with a knife.
Serve and enjoy!