‘Tis the season of the grand abundance of zucchini, am I right? At least, I imagine that many of you have an abundance. We haven’t had a great year in the zucchini growth department. I am more than a little bit ashamed to admit to you, that I planted 4 plants this year and none of them have produced a single offering. Nothing. That’s what planting in a shady spot will do for you, I suppose. Note to self. Zucchini plants prefer sunshine…don’t we all!
Thankfully my dear neighbor supplied me with some zucchini last week. I had some brown spotted bananas I needed to use up as well and so I tossed one along with two cups shredded zucchini into the cake you see before your very eyes. The result was a cake that is not only super moist and delicious, but has an amazing cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, which totally send it over the top. Yum. Super yum. 🙂
Hope you get a chance to give it a try!
Now, let me show you how to make it happen.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into a large mixing bowl place 3 eggs, 1/2 C oil, 1/2 C mashed banana, 3/4 C brown sugar, 3/4 C white sugar and 2 tsp vanilla. Beat until frothy.
3. In a separate bowl combine 2 1/2 C flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until almost all of the streaks of flour are incorporated.
4. Grab 1 medium or large zucchini…
and shred the entire thing up. You can peel it if you’d like, but it’s not necessary. Add 2 C to the batter and stir just until incorporated. Make sure not to over mix.
If you have extra zucchini, just toss it in a freezer safe ziploc bag, label the quantity on the outside of the bag and store it in your freezer. Then you can make this heavenly cake all year-long. 🙂
5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into it.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool completely.
8. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl place 1 (8 ounce) package of softened cream cheese, 1/4 C softened butter, 3 C powdered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla and a dash of salt. Beat the mixture until smooth and glossy.
9. Carefully scoop spoonfuls of frosting onto the cooled cake.
Spread it out evenly with a knife.
10. Grab some cinnamon sugar…
and sprinkle it generously all over the cake.
Serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff