A couple of weeks ago we had several couples over for a fun game night. My friend Heather brought along the most decadent, heavenly chocolate chex mix I have ever in my life witnessed. The stuff was loaded with all kinds of delicious goodies. We were all dying over it! I couldn’t help but grab the recipe and make a batch to bring to you all today. Pretty nice of her to share the recipe with us, right?
Here’s what you need to know about it. A crunchy caramel coating is cooked onto the chocolate chex mix, giving it a fantastic texture and taste. Mini peanut butter cups, and marshmallows are sprinkled onto it and then gooey melted caramel is drizzled over the top. But that, my friends…is not all. Milk chocolate and white chocolate are drizzled over the whole concoction, taking it up and over the edge of dreamy and divine.
Make some, gang. Your friends will thank you for it!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Grab a (12.8 ounce) box of Chocolate Chex Mix.
Pour the contents into a large microwavable bowl.
2. Into a large glass measuring cup place 3/4 C brown sugar, 6 Tb butter and 3 Tb corn syrup. Give it a nice stir. Heat it in the microwave until melted together and hot. Add 1/4 tsp baking soda and stir to combine.
Pour it over the top of the chex mix and stir well. Pop the bowl in the microwave and heat for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute interval.
3. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. Spread the coated chex mix out evenly over the pan. Allow it to sit for a couple of minutes and cool. (If you add the peanut butter cups immediately they will melt. Just let it sit for about 5 minutes and you will be good to go!)
4. Sprinkle 1 C mini peanut butter cups…
and 1 C mini marshmallows over the top of the chex mix.
5. Place 1/2 C caramel bits in a glass measuring cup. Add 1 Tb milk (half and half or cream work as well). Heat the caramel up in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until the caramel is smooth.
Drizzle it evenly over the chex mix.
7. Melt 1/2 C white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until the chocolate is nice and smooth. Drizzle it evenly over the chex mix.
8. Melt 1/2 C milk chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until the chocolate is nice and smooth. Drizzle it evenly over the chex mix.
9. If you love the combination of salty and sweet, you could sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the top of the white chocolate. I opted not too, but feel free to do so if that’s your kind of thing. 🙂
9. Allow the chocolate and caramel to set up (should take about 30 minutes, or you can pop the pan into the fridge and it will set faster).
Break into chunks, serve and enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe slightly adapted from Tablespoon.com passed onto my by my friend Heather Peterson