Well, dear readers, the month of Love is upon us.
Love and Kisses and Valentines Day. Which are all a wonderful reason to make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies. (You can actually make them any time during the year…just wanted to clarify. Christmas, The Fourth Of July, My Birthday, Your Birthday or especially on Any Old Boring Day.)
These tasty cookies are super easy to make and would be a great cooking project for kids and adults a like. The ingredients are minimal as a cake mix is used for the dry ingredients for the cookies. Add a bit of melted butter and an egg and vwalla…a moist, chewy cookies is yours to be had. I made some fabulous Cream Cheese Frosting to fill each cookies with and it put them over the top, man. Over The Luscious Top.
You can even make them “cute” by cutting them into a heart shape. That is, if heart shaped cookies are your kind of thing. If not, please disregard this image.
Now let’s make some cookies, man.
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 sandwich cookies
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 C butter, melted
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
4 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
4. Add 1 egg and mix for about 2 minutes, or until a nice dough has formed.
6. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes, depending on how hot your oven cooks things. Watch for the cookies to puff up a bit and form cracks along the top, then take them out of the oven and let them rest on the cookies sheet for a couple of minutes.
7. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
8. In your stand mixer, or medium-sized mixing bowl beat half an 8 ounce package of cream cheese and 2 tablespoons softened butter.
9. When the two are well combined add 4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt. Mix on medium speed until the frosting is smooth. If it’s too thick add a bit of milk. If it’s too runny add a bit more powdered sugar.
and press a heart shaped cookie cutter into it.