Hello friends! I have something a little different for you today. A bit of happiness, in a non-food form…if you will! In my LDS ward, I work in the Young Womens program with the 14 and 15-year-old girls. We meet on Sundays to study the gospel and once during the week to learn different skills, have fun, form friendships, do service or just to support each other. Both of my daughters are involved in the Young Womens program which is an added blessing to me. Dream calling to be sure! The girls are so full of fun and energy. It’s always wonderful to be with them.
Last week one of my cute class member named Taigan suggested we do an activity making “Pick Me Up Jars”. She explained that during a difficult time in her life a friend had written inspirational quotes and scriptures on individual pieces of paper, rolled them up and placed them in a mason jar and given it to her as a gift. Taigan chose one paper out each day to read in an effort to gain inspiration and help her through the day.
I was sold on the idea. There is such an amazing power in beautiful words, wouldn’t you agree?
We had a great time at the activity. All of the girls brought a list of their favorite uplifting quotes that we all shared.
We all brought different pieces of scrap-book paper and pens.
We shared our quotes with each other and tried to write as many as we could on small pieces of the paper.
I think this quote was my favorite. I’ve had it rolling around in my mind ever since. 🙂
We rolled up each paper and tossed it in the jars.
It was fun to see the different color combinations the girls chose. My daughter Emily made this fun yellow and black jar.
Anyhow, I thought the idea was definitely worth sharing with you all. It makes a great activity for the youth! These jars are also great to give away as gifts or even as an uplifting gift to yourself! I have included a list of 50 uplifting quotes and scriptures below you could use for your jars. If you don’t want to write them all out, you could easily just print them off and cut them into strips.
To print the list click HERE.
- “Be still, my soul, the Lord is on thy side” -Katherine von Shlegel
- “Fear not, I am with thee, be not dismayed, for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee yes, I will help thee, yea I will uphold the with the right hand of my righteousness.” – Isaiah 41:10
- “Wait on the Lord, be of good courage and He will strengthen thy heart.” -Psalm 27:14
- “Keep trying, keep trusting, keep believing, keep growing. Heaven is cheering for you! Today, tomorrow and forever.”-Elder Holland
- “See the good in yourself!” -Jeffery R. Holland
- “We are infinitely more than our limitations and our afflictions.” -Jeffery R. Holland
- “Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead.” -Jeffrey R. Holland
- “Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.”
- “Never give up on anyone, and that includes giving up on yourself!” -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “God didn’t design us to be sad. He created us to have joy!” -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “When life gets too hard to stand, kneel.”
- “Rejection is Gods way of saying “wrong choice dear”.
- “Come what may and love it!”
- “Don’t let the silly little things steal your happiness.”
- “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.”
- “God sometimes takes up into troubled waters, not to drown us, but to cleanse us.”
- “For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39
- “Think positive, be positive.”
- “And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” Revelation 21:4
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Dr. Suess
- “Pray More, worry less.”
- “Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than when we realize how well we know our Father in Heaven and how familiar his face is to us.” Ezra Taft Benson
- “There are far, far better things ahead, than any we have left behind.” C.S. Lewis
- “You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.”
- “It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “Courage, dear heart.” C.S. Lewis
- “The question is not how to survive, but how to thrive with passion, compassion, humor and style.” Maya Angelou
- “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” Maya Angelou
- “All flesh is in my hands; be still and know that I am God.” D&C 101:16
- “Happiness is the art of never holding in your mind the memory of any unpleasant thing that has passed.”
- “If you want happiness for an hour — take a nap.’
If you want happiness for a day — go fishing.
If you want happiness for a year — inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime — help someone else.”
- “It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.”
- “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.”
- “…for I Nephi will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” 1 Nephi 1:20
- “Happiness is a state of activity.” -Aristotle
- “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”
- “Look to me in every thought. Doubt not. Fear not.” D&C 6:36
- “Being happy doesn’t mean everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.”
- “In His strength, I can do all things.” Alma 26:12
- “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.” Mandy Hale
- “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
- “Bloom where you are planted.”
- “I am encircled about eternally in the arms of His love.” 1 Nephi 1:15
- “But the Lord stood with me, and gave me strength.” 2 Timothy 4:17
- 5 Simple Rules to be HAPPY 1) Free your mind from hate 2) Free your mind from worry 3) Live simply 4) Give more 5) Expect less
- “Happy are those who take life day by day, complain very little and are thankful for the little things in life.”
- “He hath made everything beautiful in his time.” Ecclesiastes 3:11
- “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Psalm 22:6
- “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27
…and just because I love ya (and because I have been loving the quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald so much)…
I made it into this printable. (For my fridge, and for yours if you are so inclined). You can print it by clicking the picture, or by clicking this link.
Have a great day, everyone!