Chicken and Rice Bake
This has been a standard at our house for years. The original recipe came from my Mom but I have tweaked it a bit to make it a bit more healthy. (The original called for an entire stick of melted butter…I like to save my sticks of butter for cookies.) One of the best things about this dish, is you can make it in the morning, put it in the fridge, and just pop it in the oven 2 1/2 hours before you want to eat. It’s also super easy to clean up, you can mix the whole casserole together in the same pan it cooks in. Love that!
Recipe adapted from MyDearMom
2 C white rice (not instant)
2 C milk
2 C hot water
4 bullion cubes
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I use 98%fat free)
4 chicken breasts cut into chunks
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 small cans mushrooms (optional)
salt and pepper
1. Spray the inside of a 9x13 casserole dish.
2. Pour the rice on the bottom of the dish.
3. Dissolve the bullion cubes into the hot water.
4. Pour the milk, bullion/water mixture, and cream of chicken soup, and 1/2 of the cheese over the rice. Stir in the pan until it is well blended.
5. Add a bit of salt and pepper.
6. Layer the chicken and mushrooms in the pan.
7. Cover with remaining cheese.
8. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 2 hours.
9. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.
Recipe from www.jamiecooksitup.net