Chicken and Rice Bake

Chicken and Rice Bake

This has been a standard at our house for years. The original recipe came from my Mom but I have tweaked it a bit to make it a bit more healthy. (The original called for an entire stick of melted butter…I like to save my sticks of butter for cookies.) One of the best things about this dish, is you can make it in the morning, put it in the fridge, and just pop it in the oven 2 1/2 hours before you want to eat. It’s also super easy to clean up, you can mix the whole casserole together in the same pan it cooks in. Love that!

Chicken and Rice Bake
Time: 15 minutes prep + 2 1/2 hours baking
Recipe adapted from MyDearMother

2 C white rice (not instant)
2 C milk
2 C hot water
4 bullion cubes
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I use 98%fat free)
4 chicken breasts cut into chunks
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 small cans mushrooms (optional)
salt and pepper

1. Spray the inside of a 9×13 casserole dish.
2. Pour the rice on the bottom of the dish.
3. Dissolve the bullion cubes into the hot water.
4. Pour the milk, bullion/water mixture, and cream of chicken soup, and 1/2 of the cheese over the rice. Stir in the pan until it is well blended.
5. Add a bit of salt and pepper.
6. Layer the chicken and mushrooms in the pan.
7. Cover with remaining cheese.
8. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 2 hours.
9. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.

October 25, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Hi Jamie! This is very fun! I love recipe blogs! I find myself always trying to find ways to make healthier meals with lots of flavor, but I sure do love my sweet tooth too. : )

Is the white rice cooked or not? And do you use Minute Rice or not? The reason I ask, is because I like long grain brown rice and wondered if that substitute would work, plus it takes longer to cook than the Minute Rice.
    Thanks Jamie! I look forward to trying out these tasty recipes!

October 28, 2009 at 5:35 am

Hey! Sorry I just got your comment today!
    The white rice is not cooked for this recipe. I usually use short white rice (not minute rice), but I have tried brown rice with this recipe…it doesn't actually work well unless you add more liquid. I have a recipe for chicken and brown rice that is similar and the rice turns out great. I will have to look it up for you.
    Thanks!

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Hi Jamie -
    I just discovered you, and the chicken recipes all sound wonderful – BUT – I need to stay gluten free. Do you know of any cream of chicken soup that is gluten free, or a way to substitute that soup in your recipes without adding any wheat (or other grains with gluten)?
    Thanks!
    Ann

March 4, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Made this recipe on Monday night, and it was so yummy! I talked it up so much that my neighbor is making it tonight for dinner as well. Thanks, Jamie!

March 7, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Hey Jamie,
    I haven't tried this recipe yet, but probably will this week. I just noticed a question about gluten free cream of chicken soup…not sure if this question was answered already, but I usually use (for 2 cans) 4 tbsp butter melted in a pan, then add 4 tbsp of cornstarch and mix, then 1-2 cans of chicken broth heated until thickened. It usually seems to work well and my family can't tell a difference.
    OR a recipe from a book that I have (for 1 can)…
    1 cup milk
    4 tbsp rice flour or 2 tbsp cornstarch
    2 tbsp butter
    1 1/2 tsp GF chicken base or bouillon
    1/8 tsp onion powder (optional)
    1/16 tsp pepper
    2 tbsp mayo (optional)
    In saucepan whisk milk and rice flour until well blended. Add butter, chicken base, onion powder, pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add mayo, if desired; whisk until well blended. Add salt to taste.
    I hope this helps!
    Thanks, Tiffany

March 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Jamie, I made this rice casserole. We had leftovers so I added it to my leftover homemade cheese soup and wow it was good! I have tweaked it to our family's taste by switching the Parmesan with cream cheese and adding a packet of dry Italian dressing mix. Thanks for the base recipe.

March 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Do you cook the chicken first?

March 25, 2011 at 1:03 am

Hi Jodi,
    The chicken is put into the casserole raw. It will cook up as the casserole bakes. Good luck! Hope it turns out well for you!

September 20, 2011 at 2:01 am

Have you ever frozen this? If so, what would be the best way to do it and then cook it?

September 20, 2011 at 4:19 am

Hi Stephanie,
    I haven't ever tried to freeze it. My thoughts are that it wouldn't work out super well. Not sure how the rice would do, since it's added to the recipe without being cooked.
    Thanks,

November 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hi Jamie,
    I have made your dish several times and it turns out perfect every time…so easy and so good!

Teresa
    January 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Hi, I would love to make this. But 2 questions: Have you ever substituted another cheese other than the parm, or do you always stick to that. Also, is the finished dish creamy or is it more “baked”. My family likes a creamy dish. Would I have to add more of the liquid or cook it less time? Thank you.