Penne with Tomatoes and Spinach

Penne with Tomatoes and Spinach

Love this recipe. It’s very fresh tasting, and comes together super quickly. There is no protein in it however, so sometimes I throw in some cooked shrimp in at the end. It’s also great with grilled chicken or salmon on the side.
Penne with Tomatoes and Spinach
Time: 20 minutes
Adapted from Good Things Utah

3-4 cloves garlic chopped (leave them kind of chunky)
1 T olive oil
1 carton grape tomatoes (or a whole slew of little tomatoes from your garden, the more the better)
7-8 large handfuls spinach
1 16oz box penne pasta
1 lemon
3/4 C Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

1. Cook the pasta.
2. While it is cooking heat up a large, deep skillet. Add olive oil, garlic and tomatoes. Let the garlic get nice and golden. The tomatoes should start to crack open and simmer just a bit.
3. Add the cooked pasta and spinach.
4. Stir the spinach just until it starts to wilt. I actually use a big set of salad tongs. You don’t want the spinach to get cooked all the way through.
5. Add the juice from the lemon, salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese.
6. Stir it in, and let the cheese melt just a bit, and you are ready to serve!

Kristie Heilers
    April 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm

So you serve this warm? Could you serve it cold and how does it taste? We are having teacher appreciation wk the 1st wk in May and we, The PTF, are fixing lunch for the teachers. So far BLT soup, and italian beef. Neither are my recipes. But I am in charge of salad. If you have any suggestions please throw them out there.

February 8, 2014 at 12:20 am

Hi Marisa, and thanks for your great quositens. I freeze baked fatayar all the time and they are great for at least a month out of the freezer. They reheat and taste/texture are excellent. You can and should prepare them Sunday for Thanksgiving and freeze!

April 26, 2010 at 3:33 am

Kristie,
    You do serve this dish warm. I have some great salad recipes that would go well with the other dishes at your luncheon. If you look under Salad in my recipe box you will find a bunch.
    Sarah Salad or Pink Dressing Salad would both be good choices. I also posted a wonderful Spinach Salad just a couple of days ago that would work well. Good Luck! Let me know how they turn out!

April 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm

When would you add the shrimp?

April 29, 2010 at 2:45 am

Anonymous,
    I add the shrimp that has already been cooked (the pink kind…not the grey) at the very end and just let them heat through.
    Good luck!

Mary K.
    June 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Just had this for dinner. Yum!!!! Thanks for the recipe.

June 16, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Loved this recipe! Made this for my family before going to Summer Games Opening Ceremonies. Especially great for the athletes in the family. Only trouble was printing out second page with cooking instructions but it was simple enough to just write down.

Becky S
    August 31, 2012 at 4:55 am

Would leaving out the lemon juice make a big difference? I am allergic to citrus and it seems like most low cal recipes include lemon or lime.

August 31, 2012 at 3:22 pm

The lemon juice really ads a bit of brightness at the end, but you could leave it out and it would still be good. :) Good Luck!