White Chicken Chili

White Chicken Chili

Well guys and gals, it’s a stormy day along the Wasatch Front. I’d say a rather chilly day. A great day to make a batch of chili! This original recipe came from my great friend Tricia. I have changed it somewhat, using dried great northern beans instead of canned, and 1% milk instead of whipping cream. I know many of you make chili for Halloween….this is a fun twist on the regular kidney bean and beef variety. We love it around here. I always double the batch and freeze the leftovers in quart size Ziploc bags. I enjoy pulling some out on a day when my fridge is bare and out of yummy and healthy options. Why is it there always seems to be a yummy and unhealthy option lurking around. Must be the season…or my baking addiction. Take your pick.
This chili is great with my Fabulous French Bread, and it is down right FANTASTIC with my Quick and Easy Breadsticks. If you wanted to use canned beans, that would cut down on the time drastically! I am always looking for great ways to use up the pounds and pounds of dried beans I have in my food storage, so I always opt for the dried.
 I’m planning on posting a fun Roasted Pumpkin Seed recipe tomorrow, just in case any of you might be coming across a whole slew of pumpkin seeds in the next few days….stop by and check them out!
White Chicken Chili
Time: 3 hours

3 C dried white northern beans
about 12 cups water
1 T oil
2 chicken breasts cut into pieces
1 onion
1 t minced garlic
5 bullion cubes
1 t salt
1/2 t cracked pepper
1 (4 ounce) can green chilis
1 t cumin
1 t oregano
3/4 t cayan pepper (more if you like a lot of spice)
1 C sour cream
3/4 C milk
1. Put the beans and the water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours. You want the beans to be nice and soft. Check them now and then and add more water, as the beans will start to soak it up. When the beans are soft add enough hot water to cover the beans with about an inch of water on top.

2. About 20 minutes before the beans are soft heat a skillet up and add oil. Brown the chicken, onion and garlic. You want these to get nice and golden brown, this will add a lot of flavor.
3. When the beans are soft and the chicken mixture is cooked through, add it to the beans.
4. Add the seasonings, sour cream and milk. Give it a lot of stirring to incorporate everything well.
5. Let it heat through and simmer for 10 minutes.

October 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Looks good! I'll have to work this into our menu sometime soon. I love your blog so far and look forward to following your blog!

October 28, 2009 at 1:52 am

Found you through the Hive:) Nice blog!!

November 1, 2009 at 9:28 am

Wooow.
    The photos are simply yammmmmy!
    Stopping in from SITS.

October 30, 2010 at 2:45 am

Ok.. so my ward has a Chili cook off every year… I have never found a Chili recipe that I dared take… Until this one. There were 18 different Chilis in the competition and they gave three prizes. Guess what…. We Won!!!!!! Jamie its a victory for you and your wonderful Chili! Love it and we will be making it again!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 4:24 am

Eileen,
    Hip Hip Hooray! So glad the recipe worked out so well for you and that your ward loved it! Thanks so much for letting me know. Made my night! Have a good one….

December 22, 2010 at 5:00 am

Is your chili runny or thick–picture makes it look think, mine on the other hand was like water in consistency–what did I do wrong? It tasted fabulous especially with cheddar cheese on top!

December 22, 2010 at 5:45 am

Hello Kristine the beautiful,
    Mine is sometimes thicker than other times…seems like it depends on how cooked the beans are, and how much I stir them around. Does that make sense? It actually gets a little thicker the second day. However, it isn't a particularly thick soup. It has more of a broth-ie feel than red chili. Hope your family still liked it!
    Love ya more than numbers!!!!!!!!!!Have a great Christmas if I don't see you before then.

February 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm

what a handsome dear face you have..all kilasbse and snuggable. You have a lucky mommy that she can give you pets and kissies.

jeanni
    May 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm

How would the recipe change if you used canned beans? I want a faster method! Thanks….I love your blog.

December 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Did you use a 4-oz can of diced green chiles or the 7-oz. size? This sounds so good for a cold winter day!

December 12, 2011 at 5:37 am

Suzanne,
    Thanks for your question. I used a 4 ounce can. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it!

April 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

So I just have to tell you that you're my go to recipe blog. Haven't met one your recipes we didn't like! A little shout out for dried beans too – get an electric pressure cooker! (those of you who don't know Fusion Grains should look it up – I'm hooked!) The cook time for beans and rice is sooo quick. I never remember to soak beans and never leave myself an extra hour to cook beans so it means I can make dinner from scratch in the frantic amount of time I leave myself. Thanks Jamie.

Eileen
    October 26, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Hi Jamie! Made this again for the Ward Chili Cookoff… It WON 1st place again! Wins every year, three years running…. Thank you! Its so Delicious!

October 29, 2012 at 6:23 am

Eileen,
      So glad to hear it! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Suzanne
    October 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

With our chill in the air, this recipe sounded like the perfect comfort food. It’s delicious!! If no one was watching, um, I might’ve licked my bowl. Yeah, it’s that good.

Melissa
    October 30, 2012 at 6:56 am

How do I alter this to make it with canned beans? How much water…Do I just cover the beans with water?

October 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Melissa,
      Yes, just be sure that the beans are covered with water.
      Good luck!

Deborah Druce
    September 29, 2013 at 9:38 pm

This chili looks so good. I cannot wait to try this.

February 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Sadly, we are victims of our past. I did not have a poivitse role model for a Mother. My Mother did not have a poivitse role model for a Mother. The Word speaks of generational curses , and I believe this is one where the sins of the fathers (or, Mothers, in this case) visit , cause harm to, influence the lives of the children. I want to be clear here: this verse is NOT talking about children being PUNISHED for the sins (or, shortcomings , if it seems more apropos) of the parents, as has been erroneously taught by some; it means that the children suffer the consequences of bad choices by parents. The Word is very clear that we are all held responsible for our own choices, good or bad. No one else is disciplined, which means to teach , or punished when we deserve discipline or punishment, but us.As parents, we all do the best we can, and sometimes, it is lacking. The best thing to do in that situation is to simply be honest about it with our children, ask forgiveness, and move forward, vowing and keeping the vow not to repeat THAT mistake. Rest assured there will be plenty of other mistakes to choose from in the hard job we call parenting . It’s also important that our children SEE in action a willingness to admit wrongdoing and repent (turn away from and do the opposite ) of it; we lead by example.I like what Sandra Bullock’s character had to say in the movie, Hope Floats . Her little girl asks her what it means to be an adult. Mom answers, well, adulthood is where you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome your childhood . There is truth in that, sad to say.One very poivitse thing every young mother can and should do, in my opinion, is seek out a wise Woman of G-d as a mentor; someone who walks with the Lord, someone who is a trusted source of His wisdom. James 1:5 Hopefully, you are in a Bible-believing, Christ-centered church, and there are such older women among you. The Bible also tells us that older women are to be teachers of the younger women.No, I did not have the advantage of a wise Mom, nor did she. I am blessed in that Mom and I are both now Women of G-d, and we can freely discuss this matter, and even pray about it together. It is a beautiful thing, indeed!Don’t let the devil steal what belongs to you. There is victory in all aspects of life when we surrender it to our Lord and Savior, Y’eshua/Jesus Christ, and follow His precepts.Here’s to your overcoming the past and moving into the future in the knowledge and power and authority of who YOU are in Him!

RHONDA
    November 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

jamie, call me stupid but i’ve just recently started cooking more at home and was wondering when do i add the boullion cubes ?
    When i first start the beans or after i’ve added everything else ? also do i add all the spices to the beans while there cooking or add them to the chicken while i’m cooking it.