Adam’s Bottled Cranberry Sauce, makes 10 pints

Adam’s Bottled Cranberry Sauce, makes 10 pints

This recipe was developed by MyHandsomeHusband. He is a wiz with all kinds of sauces and gravy’s. I am often calling him into the kitchen to help me season up all kinds of things.
Just another one of his talents.
How does one guy end up with so many?
Just lucky, I guess.
This recipe is fantastic to make this time of year, with Thanksgiving on the horizon. It’s great to make them a week or so before Thanksgiving…since there will be plenty of other cooking to take up your time on Thanksgiving day. Since the cranberry sauce is bottled in mason jars, you can keep the leftovers in your food storage and enjoy it all year long.  It makes a large batch. 10 pints to be exact. The sauce cooks down pretty quickly and there is not a lot of prep work to be done before hand. We made this batch in about 45 minutes. The sauce is so hot when you put it into the jars, that the lids seal themselves with out being processed in a water bath. It is pretty easy, as far as canning is concerned.
Fresh cranberries can only be purchased in the fall and early winter, so take advantage of the season, and buy a few bags. They can easily be tossed in the freezer right in the bag they come in, and can be kept there for up to a year.
Adam’s Bottled Cranberry Sauce
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 10 pints
Recipe from MyHandsomeHusband

18 C fresh or frozen Cranberries
6  C water
6 1/2 C sugar
1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 t cinnamon)
1/4 t ground cloves
1 large orange (you’ll want the zest and the juice)
1 1/2 C granny smith apple, peeled and diced
10 pint sized mason jars, lids and rings.

1. Peel and chop your apples.
2. Zest the peel of your orange.
3. In a large pot combine the water, sugar, cinnamon stick and cloves. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the cranberries, apple and orange zest. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute. The sauce will start to get frothy as it increases in temperature. Once it gets frothy, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add the juice from the orange.
6. Pour the sauce into your mason jars and seal with the lids and rings. The lids will make a kind of popping sound when they seal. It usually takes about an hour after the lids and rings have been put on. Happy Thanksgiving!

November 17, 2009 at 7:29 am

this recipe is perfect for me. I love cranberries. my favorite part of the turkey dinner is cranberry sauce, I love to put it all over my rolls. yummy. I'm so making this!! Thanks for your awesome blog.

November 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Is it ground cloves or whole? Sorry if I am a nuisance. Thanks Jamie!

November 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm

You are never a nuisance, Bonnie. Ask anything you would like, that's kind of the point of this blog. I'm hoping it's as helpful as possible.
    The recipe calls for ground cloves.
    Hope it turns out great!

November 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Sounds wonderful. How do you store these, and how long will it keep? Can it be frozen.

November 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Anonymous,
    I store the jars in my basement food storage room. The sauce is very hot when put into the mason jars. This will make the lids seal and the sauce can be stored this way for up to a year. We just ate a jar last week that we made about a year ago.
    Thanks and good luck!

January 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hello,
    I added a little white wine, sliced very thin wedges of the apples, have a nephew with downs obsessed with the fresh apples from my trees, drizzeled the mixture over honey ham slices and everyone loved it, Matthew loved his apple slices. Great recipe to share.
    Thanks,
    Pam

Cindi Hatch
    November 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I just made this recipe! The beautiful red jars are sitting on my counter top, and the “pinging” has begun! So fun to hear them seal! I love the combination of cranberries, apples & orange, and I’m excited to use this cranberry sauce on my Thanksgiving table. My husband & I are empty nesters, so the pint jars seemed too big for the two of us. I bottled it in half pint jars instead, with a nice size bowlful reserved in the refrigerator for Thanksgiving when all the kids will be here. Thanks to your Hubby for the recipe, and to you for sharing it! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2012 at 7:34 am

Cindi,
      Great! I hope you love it.

sharon Brown
    August 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

When I make cooked jams and jellies and pour the hot mixture into jars. I still need the water bath. I’m not sure about not doing this with your recipe. Could I process and for how long to be on the safe side?

Shelli
    August 21, 2013 at 9:56 am

does that really say 18 cups of cranberries?

Linda
    November 8, 2013 at 7:55 am

Hi, the recipe for cranberry sauce sounds wonderful so I’m going to give it a go. But could you please tell me, does C stand for cup?

November 8, 2013 at 8:04 am

Linda,
      Yes, C stands for cup. Good luck!

Katie Stewart
    November 18, 2014 at 8:22 am

This recipe should be safe for canning, but you need to sterilize your jars, warm your lids and rings, leave 1/4 inch head space AND YES- you must hot water bath! It’s the only way to ensure that you get a good seal and that you have killed unfriendly bacteria.