Lion House Honey Butter

This is the real stuff guys. Nothing low-cat, low-fat about this delectable delight.
Put a dollop on the Holiday Crescent Rolls I posted yesterday, and you’ll think you have died and gone to HEAVEN, and I’m not even kidding. You’ll want to be sure and start with softened butter, and give yourself about 3-5 hours of refrigeration time, after it is mixed. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a runny mess. Have fun! This is also fantastic on scones, toast, hot bread….it’s a keeper.

Lion House Honey Butter

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1 Cup

Ingredients

1/2 C butter, softened.....don't mess around with margarine
1/4 t vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 C honey
dash salt (just a sprinkle, it really brings out the flavor)

Instructions

1. Be sure that you start with softened butter. Whip it in your mixer, or with a hand held electric mixer for at least 2 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and egg yolk and dash of salt. Mix for 30 seconds.
3. Add the honey, SLOWLY. Just drizzle it in while you mix it into the butter mixture.
4. Refrigerate for 3-5 hours.

Recipe from The Lion House Cookbook

November 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm

OMG — sounds and looks delish!!

I am so bookmarking this post and going to try it out for thanskgiving!!

November 6, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Oh, I'm drooling. Is there anything better than honey butter?? I'm with the last commenter. I'm going to try this for Thanksgiving!

Thanks for stopping by my cake blog! It's nice to met you! 🙂

November 7, 2009 at 11:14 am

Oh my! This peanut butter pie looks absolutely delicious! Wow. Very nice.

SITS 🙂

March 27, 2010 at 1:02 am

Hmmm…I don't add vanilla to my version. Will definitely try it next time. Great, great, great blog!!

🙂
    ButterYum

November 16, 2010 at 4:48 am

I make Lion House honey butter every Thanksgiving from a recipe I know by heart. I panic(ked?) when I read your recipe which specifies 1 cup honey to 1/2 cup butter, because all these years I've been using 1/2 cup honey to 1/2 cup butter – equal amounts. I checked my official-issue Lion House cookbook and confirmed that, at least in that book, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup butter, not 1 cup. My book is old so maybe they've updated the recipe. Love your blog, I've tried many of your recipes. Keep 'em coming.

November 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Connie,
    I checked my Lion House Cookbook again and it does indeed call for 1/2 C butter and 1 C honey. Maybe they switched it in the newer version!

November 18, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Hi Jamie!
    How far ahead of time can this be made? Will it still taste great if made 4 or 5 days ahead of time?
    Thanks!

November 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Jackie,
    You can make it ahead. It actually is best if you put it in the freezer! Who would have thought. Then just put it in the fridge the night before and you'll be good to go!

November 19, 2010 at 12:15 am

Perfect! Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I can't wait to taste it. 🙂

February 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Do you really add an egg yolk to it? Nobody in the comments is screaming about salmonella?

Peggy
    October 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I have made this before with the egg yolk. It is worth the salmonella risk to me!!

Lesley
    December 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

Lynette, I was thinking the same thing. This sounds so good, but I just can’t do the raw egg! I am making the holiday crescent rolls though, and they look divine!

December 9, 2013 at 6:27 am

Lesley and Lynette,
      If you are worried about the egg, leave it out and add a bit of powdered sugar (2-3 Tb) and is will work as a thickener for you. Good luck! Hope you love it!