Mint Oreo Cookies

Mint Oreo Cookies

These delightful treats are super super easy. The cookie dough is made from a devils food cake mix. How easy is that! The frosting is homemade with a hint of mint. Gotta LOVE chocolate and mint. Love may be too light of a word. I think I might be down right obsessed with chocolate and mint. The frosting could easily be made with out the mint…but why in the world would any one want to? All right….MyHandsomeHusband requests a few made with out the mint each time I make them. I know, super crazy!
Mint Oreo Cookies
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 30 Oreos
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Cookie Dough
2 boxes devils food cake mix
2 sticks melted butter
2 eggs
Frosting
5 C powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 C milk
dash salt (just a sprinkle)
1/2 t peppermint flavoring
1/2 t red food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl (or in your Kitchen Aid Mixer) combine cookie dough ingredients. Mix for about 1 minute, or until all ingredients are incorporated.
2. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Smash the balls down just a bit.
3. Bake the cookies at 350 for about 8 minutes. This is not an exact time. You don’t want to over bake them. A cookie that isn’t soft, isn’t worth eating in my book. Take them out of the oven when the tops have cracked, as in the picture above. Let them finish baking while they sit on the hot cookie sheet. When the sheet is cool, you can place the cookies on a wire rack to finish cooling.
4. To make the frosting whip the butter until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and add the milk a little at a time. You don’t want the frosting to be too runny.
5. Add the food coloring, peppermint and the salt and mix.
6. Frost the underside of a cookie and place another cookie on top.

November 20, 2009 at 11:13 pm

These look absolutely divine! Can't wait to try them out.

I'm a new follower, too. Btw…thanks for following my blog!!

November 21, 2009 at 6:09 am

OMGoodness! You really know the way into my heart. I LOVE anything mint chocolate too. Would you use this same frosting on brownies too? I love mint brownies but haven't found the right recipe.

November 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm

RaCeNMoMmy….I haven't tried the recipe for brownies, but I have put it on chocolate cake, and it's wonderful. I bet the brownies would work as well. I know of a brownie recipe that has a similar frosting…during the last 5 minutes of baking time, you put a layer of marshmallows over the brownies, then when they cool you add the mint frosting. I'll have to ask my sister for it and get it posted for you, but this recipe would do fine as well. You could easily use green food coloring, instead of red as well. Thanks!

November 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm

good morning from sits! looks super yummy-I might have to try this but am thinking of rolling the sides in crushed pepppermints!

November 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Omgosh…did you really have to do this to me today…I've been so good. Love this!! Following now thanks to sits:) muahhh

November 21, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Wow–these look easy and fun! My kids will enjoy making this one–thank you!

November 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm

that looks so good i am going to have to give it a try. visiting from SITS. have a great saturday.

November 22, 2009 at 12:04 am

I just had these today. I loved them!

November 22, 2009 at 12:54 am

Thanks for answering my question. I have another one, what is the difference between peppermint flavoring & mint flavoring? Bought mint a while back but haven't done anything with it. Wondering if I should buy peppermint or if they're the same or similar?

November 22, 2009 at 2:47 am

RaCeNMoMmY,
    I have purchased both mint and peppermint. I think they are quite similar, but I like the peppermint a bit better. If it's mint that you have in your cupboard, I would use it for this recipe. They will be great.

December 6, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I love your blog! Who doesn't like sweets?! How many (finished) cookies does this batch make? …it seems like it would make a lot!

…popping over from SITS!

December 18, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I made a similar version today! And then linked up on my blog post. The hubby thanks you for the recipe

January 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm

What were you doing in my dreams?? I will have to make these ASAP!!
    …dropping in from SITS!

December 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Jamie. We made these and rolled the edges in crushed candy canes. They looked beautiful! They were so good. We ate so many that I'm going to have to make another batch to give away. Yum!

December 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Tami,
    “rolled the edges in candy canes”!!!!!!!!!!!That sounds darling and so festive. What a great idea!

March 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Great, thanks for the recipe, I love chocolat cookies.

March 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

interesting things to read about a variety of subjects, It's so good of you sharing the content on this topic.Thanks for the informative writing. Would mind updating some good tips about it. I still wait your next place. ;)