These delightful treats are super super easy. The cookie dough is made from a devils food cake mix. How easy is that! The frosting is homemade with a hint of mint. Gotta LOVE chocolate and mint. Love may be too light of a word. I think I might be down right obsessed with chocolate and mint. The frosting could easily be made with out the mint…but why in the world would any one want to? All right….MyHandsomeHusband requests a few made with out the mint each time I make them. I know, super crazy!
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
2 boxes devils food cake mix
2 sticks melted butter
5 C powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 C milk
dash salt (just a sprinkle)
1/2 t peppermint flavoring
1/2 t red food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl (or in your Kitchen Aid Mixer) combine cookie dough ingredients. Mix for about 1 minute, or until all ingredients are incorporated.
2. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Smash the balls down just a bit.
3. Bake the cookies at 350 for about 8 minutes. This is not an exact time. You don't want to over bake them. A cookie that isn't soft, isn't worth eating in my book. Take them out of the oven when the tops have cracked, as in the picture above. Let them finish baking while they sit on the hot cookie sheet. When the sheet is cool, you can place the cookies on a wire rack to finish cooling.
4. To make the frosting whip the butter until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and add the milk a little at a time. You don't want the frosting to be too runny.
5. Add the food coloring, peppermint and the salt and mix.
6. Frost the underside of a cookie and place another cookie on top.
Recipe from www.jamiecooksitup.net